MT draw results are up

Another new guy to the forum.

The stars aligned for me this year and I drew a NR permit for 799-20. I have a feeling this is going to be a LONG summer.
Tough tag, have you hunted the area before? For elk or deer? Good luck to you should be a great adventure. Any chances of summer scouts?

Tough tag, have you hunted the area before? For elk or deer? Good luck to you should be a great adventure. Any chances of summer scouts?

I have hunted deer there every year but one since 2013. I am pretty familiar with the area and have several spots in mind.

However summer scouting is doubtful with COVID and we are expecting our first born in July. To be be honest, I thought it would be another 6-10 years before I had any chance of drawing.

I am putting my gameplan together now, and looking at making a long trip this to scout before the season starts.

I have hunted deer there every year but one since 2013. I am pretty familiar with the area and have several spots in mind.

However summer scouting is doubtful with COVID and we are expecting our first born in July. To be be honest, I thought it would be another 6-10 years before I had any chance of drawing.

I am putting my gameplan together now, and looking at making a long trip this to scout before the season starts.
Congrats on the first one! Good luck

Congrats on the tag and the kid . Your going to be busy.

4 points total. 3 going into the drawing plus the one I purchesed at the time of application. I believe the 2018 and 2019 draw odds with 4 points were 3% and 9% respectively.
Bonus points don’t go towards the current year app . So u had 3 .

Drew a big game combo. Never been to montana so I'm excited!!! Hunted NM all my life. Cant wait to get up there and chase some September bugles.

Scouting right before the season is a good idea. Ideally you will have a good one located for opening day and be packing him out by noon. After that the orange army will get push the elk and you will need some luck.

Scouting right before the season is a good idea. Ideally you will have a good one located for opening day and be packing him out by noon. After that the orange army will get push the elk and you will need some luck.
Right on Anterradar, I hunted the Custer (799-20) two years ago, and it was tough. Almost didn’t get a shot, but after multiple 3 day trips I got a 260-270 inch bull that was great eating. It is a difficult unit due to extreme hunter pressure on public land and elk using rather small isolated strips of private lands or larger ranches.
I talked with several hunters that had hunted it 2 or 3 times over the last 12-15 years and many more ate tag soup than ate elk steak. If I could have gotten permission to hunt a small strip of private land I could have tagged a over 300 inch elk. I did see quite of few cows and smaller 4/5 point/spikes the first day.
I have better luck hunting region 3/4, but you should make the most of your hunt. And please post up some pictures/story. Congratulations on the little one!

Three Guys, Same results, got lucky...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200428-140055.png
    Screenshot_20200428-140055.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 33
Finally drew another limited entry rifle tag 11 years after my last one. Going to be a busy summer of scouting and getting my slow gimpy butt into shape.. Goals for this one are 1) don’t get eaten by a bear 2) don’t die or break equipment(which I seem to do elk hunting) 3) Hopefully shoot a bull of great character and maybe get lucky and top my current best. 4) Just have fun enjoying gods country... I Hope everyone has a great 2020 season!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back