MT Cow Hunt

Eyeguy

Hello again hunt talkers. So my archery season was not a total success this year (my partner got one, I didn't fill) So I started looking into OTC, cow hunts (preferably late season). I see MT has an OTC cow hunt that basically runs the month of November. Unit is region 3 (unit 393) just north and east of Bozeman. Can anyone offer any advice on this area and if It would be worth coming for a few days to try to get a crack at an antlerless elk? PM are welcome. I don't plan to hunt this unit any other time during any other season, this would be strictly a late season, cow only hunt. Anything helps.

Late season in this area, the elk are almost exclusively on private land. I live in Bozeman and wouldn't waste my time driving the 20 minutes there, that time of year. Just my 2 cents.

Usually "late season" refers to a season after the general hunting season. HD 393 is open for brow-tined bulls or antlerless elk from Oct 24 through Nov 22, then antlerless elk only during the last week of the general season from Nov 23 through Nov 29 for the General Elk License. You may purchase a B License for antlerless elk only for the same general season. I am not aware of any "late season" hunts other than the potential for a hunt roster "management hunt". which usually occurs after the first of the year ... Jan- Feb 2016.

But with the "shoulder season" proposal ... who knows?

Schmo is correct; the bulk of the elk habitat is on private land in HD 393. But there are a few public land access spots.

Thanks for the replies fellers. By late season I was referring to November, specifically that last week you spoke of..not a totally different season all together. Good to know access is limited and I think that we will probably look elsewhere or bite the bullet and chomp at the bit until next fall. Again, thanks for your helpful, honest replies.

There are many areas with the possibility of taking a cow with your general tag, I would grab a copy of the regs and see what you can find, I know there are several districts in region 3 that has that opportunity.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back