Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT 380-01 Cow Elk Tag

mstolte

Hello All,

Very pumped that both myself and my son are able to shoot a cow in the Elk horns but only in the "south region." Any advice on how to hunt this area would be appreciated. According to my digital and on the ground boot scouting the SW corner is heavily forested so I am concerned about where to glass. Again, not looking for honey holes but good old fashioned advice or starting points.

Mike

Hello All,

Very pumped that both myself and my son are able to shoot a cow in the Elk horns but only in the "south region." Any advice on how to hunt this area would be appreciated. According to my digital and on the ground boot scouting the SW corner is heavily forested so I am concerned about where to glass. Again, not looking for honey holes but good old fashioned advice or starting points.

Mike
Real high, real early. Watch the edges of the tree lines, along any open parks.. see about wolf tag. Choot Em. Butt tons of elk in that country..
Congrats and good luck

Mike,

There is plenty of "open" country in the south portion of the district. Well worth it to sacrifice an evening or a morning and glass from a high vantage point and then plan a hunt for the next morning or evening based on the elk you spot. If you are willing to put in the effort, you will have opportunities at cows. Don't shy away from block management areas on that end - they see a lot of use by cow/calf groups throughout the season. If it's getting late in the season and you are struggling, just shoot me a private message and I will do my best to point you in a good direction. Good Luck!

Mark

Mike,

There is plenty of "open" country in the south portion of the district. Well worth it to sacrifice an evening or a morning and glass from a high vantage point and then plan a hunt for the next morning or evening based on the elk you spot. If you are willing to put in the effort, you will have opportunities at cows. Don't shy away from block management areas on that end - they see a lot of use by cow/calf groups throughout the season. If it's getting late in the season and you are struggling, just shoot me a private message and I will do my best to point you in a good direction. Good Luck!

Mark
Thanks Mark. Really appreciate the info and help. I'm thinking Radersberg is the best way to get up in there or do you think the Boulder side?

Thanks Mark. Really appreciate the info and help. I'm thinking Radersberg is the best way to get up in there or do you think the Boulder side?
Coming in from Radersburg provides some good opportunities but so does the Boulder area. Not sure if you plan to bow hunt or rifle or both. There are some early rifle hunts that occur over in the Boulder area on BMA's so you end up with rifle and bow hunters going after the same animals - I have never wanted to mess with that myself. I think you have to be on a damage roster to hunt those early rifle dates. Anyway, either Boulder or Radersburg could work for you. Might depend on where you are driving over from.

Hey Mark, thank you--big help. I'm coming from Bozo so I am going to start scouting entering from Radersburg as we will be rifle hunting during the general season. Hope all is well with you and thanks again.

Mike

I’ll be in there at some point both archery and general looking for monster mulies if they exist anymore.. I’ll let you know what I come across, and keep your eyes out for dat 50 pointer fer me! 😂😂

Absolutely, I will let you know if I bump some big bucks. So you must have the Muley Buck Permit for 380. Good luck.

Back