Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

MR Marshall vs Beartooth

DukeSilver

I had a Pintler and just sold it because I needed a bigger bag. The last couple of years I hunted CO 2nd and 3rd rifle season. We would hunt 3-4 nights before returning to the truck to get more food. I had to carry some stuff in a dry bag on the load shelf which was a PITA, so I would like to avoid that.

Right now I am between the Beartooth and the Marshall. I would like something that I could hunt for a week out of if need be but most trips would likely be 3-5 days. Right now, I am just paranoid that the Beartooth would be too small since my last bag was too small. My thought was buy the Marshall because it is a bigger bag and I can always cinch it down for shorter trips. Is the Marshall overkill and too much bag for 3-5 day trips?

I know it depends on how you pack but it be reasonable to think that I could do a week out of a Beartooth? The I know the Beartooth is probably the better size for 3-5 day trips but I'm just paranoid about buying a bag that is too small again.

Also for guys that own the Beartooth, do you find the 270 degree zip is actually more convenient than the top/side access of the Metcalf/Marshall? To me it looks like if you had a lot of gear crammed into the bag it would be really difficult to zip the Beartooth closed again.

I would love to hear from people that actually own both bags and have more experience backcountry hunting than me. I have only been on 2 trips.

I've done weeklong trips with a Metcalf, so I can't see how a Beartooth would be too small.

I'm still getting used to the Beartooth zip style. In all honesty, I think I prefer the side zip. However, that was after using the size zip style for a number of years.

X2 for Beartooth plus it has the newest frame on it!

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I think I'm leaning towards the Beartooth. I think the Marshall is just too much bag for most of my trips.

MR uses 500D CORDURA for its solid color packs and 610 HP CORDURA for camo packs. Does anybody have experience with both fabrics? The 500D is nylon and the 610 HP contains polyester. It is my understanding that nylon is more durable than polyester. Anybody noticed a difference between the two? Also are there any problems with the camo fading as it is printed on and polyester has a tendency to fade with UV exposure?

I believe the new packs have 300 cordura to cut weight! I have experienced no issues yet

I own the Beartooth, and I really enjoy it. After reading what you are looking for, I believe it'll accommodate your needs. The new frame on the Beartooth is really nice, and you can certainly tell the difference between other less quality packs. There is plenty of space for a week long hunt.. but I also don't require much, and I have purchased all lightweight, packable gear over the years. My only complaint with the Beartooth is the straps. There are So. Many. Straps. When loading meat onto the frame it can be frustrating trying to find what buckles go where. I have become more proficient each time, but I still find myself cursing the pack. I swear, there has to be an extra pound alone in straps. All in all, Mystery Ranch is a great brand that makes a great product. All of my firefighter packs are mystery, and all of my hunting packs are as well. Hope this helps, and let me know if I can answer anything specific for you.

I have a Pintler on the first Guide Lite frame and a Beartooth on the updated frame. Both are great packs, but the Beartooth is substantially larger and will easily do 3-5 days or more, and the new belt is much more comfortable when packing a heavy load. I put items that stay in camp in the lid pockets and detach that when hunting for the day, and it compresses down pretty well with all the straps. I really like the side zipper and interior pockets as well, it's much easier to find things in my pack, which is something I'd gotten used to with the Pintler. The only complaint I have with the Beartooth is the tiny pocket on top of the bag under the lid, which is basically inaccessible and as such pretty much only carries my toothbrush, toothpaste, and an extra headlamp.

I had a Pintler and just sold it because I needed a bigger bag. The last couple of years I hunted CO 2nd and 3rd rifle season. We would hunt 3-4 nights before returning to the truck to get more food. I had to carry some stuff in a dry bag on the load shelf which was a PITA, so I would like to avoid that.

Right now I am between the Beartooth and the Marshall. I would like something that I could hunt for a week out of if need be but most trips would likely be 3-5 days. Right now, I am just paranoid that the Beartooth would be too small since my last bag was too small. My thought was buy the Marshall because it is a bigger bag and I can always cinch it down for shorter trips. Is the Marshall overkill and too much bag for 3-5 day trips?

I know it depends on how you pack but it be reasonable to think that I could do a week out of a Beartooth? The I know the Beartooth is probably the better size for 3-5 day trips but I'm just paranoid about buying a bag that is too small again.

Also for guys that own the Beartooth, do you find the 270 degree zip is actually more convenient than the top/side access of the Metcalf/Marshall? To me it looks like if you had a lot of gear crammed into the bag it would be really difficult to zip the Beartooth closed again.

I would love to hear from people that actually own both bags and have more experience backcountry hunting than me. I have only been on 2 trips.
I would like to recognize your outstanding user name. Nicely done!

My advise after cussing the straps on the beartooth.

Buy a mixed pack of markers in different colors and color code the buckles.

It reduced my desire to cut the straps with the skinning knife. 🤣

Mind. Blown hahaha
I think I will do that today, literally!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back