Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mr. Butkus

In his sleep of a heart attack at his home in Malibu.

He once said football should be played with “regulated anger,” and there is no doubt that's the way he played it. Butkus once had four personal fouls in a game — but it was only preseason. “He chews cement and spits out sidewalk,” returner Ron Smith, who played with and against Butkus, told the Los Angeles Times.

Some of the older guys might remember this. I can't remember who the running back was but he was on the opposing team as Butkus in the pro bowl. He had a run up the middle and ran into Butkus on one side and Nitschke on the other. They hit him with bad intentions at about the same time. Those guys were tough.

With both of us growing up a bears fan, my dad used to tell me stories about him, while we watched the bears every Sunday from his arm chair.

My dad was the first person I texted when I found out, we were both shocked and saddened.

4.jpg

Hurt feeling modern day Karen flag, taunting!

Some of the older guys might remember this. I can't remember who the running back was but he was on the opposing team as Butkus in the pro bowl. He had a run up the middle and ran into Butkus on one side and Nitschke on the other. They hit him with bad intentions at about the same time. Those guys were tough.
Ouch that gave me spasms just thinking about getting hit by those two. I met him in Alaska when I was guiding up there. He was staying at a lodge about 3 miles up river. I was walking my dogs up river met he and a couple others walking down after dinner. Very gracious man. Said “you run the green boat” That was a nice fish that lady caught today” It was. Even if you didn’t know who he was, he was big enough you wouldn’t pick a fight with him but he wasn’t any where near as big in person as he played on the field. Guy was a monster on the field.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back