MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Moving to Fort Collins

hogcarpy

Well, I got really lucky. I received an incredible job opportunity in Fort Collins and will be moving the family there a couple months. It was a tough decision, as we have a great situation in Omaha. There were just too many positives from the professional and family interests to not take the jump.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the town and the surroundings. I'd be all ears if anyone has any recommendations on things to do/restaurants/areas to home shop, ect.

Thanks for the input

AC

If you don't need to live directly in Ft. Collins, consider house hunting in Windsor. Might get more house for your buck.

You can throw a rock in any direction and hit a few breweries and good restaurants. Poudre Canyon has a lot of recreation areas for fishing, kayaking, rafting, and hiking. There's also the Pawnee Grasslands to the east if you're into wide open spaces that look like SE WY.

CSU isn't known as a powerhouse in football but the games are entertaining enough.

Well, I got really lucky. I received an incredible job opportunity in Fort Collins and will be moving the family there a couple months. It was a tough decision, as we have a great situation in Omaha. There were just too many positives from the professional and family interests to not take the jump.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the town and the surroundings. I'd be all ears if anyone has any recommendations on things to do/restaurants/areas to home shop, ect.

Thanks for the input

AC

Bigjay73 knows what he is talking about.
I live in Cheyenne WY, 45 minutes North of Fort Collins.
Here is a list of things to do in Fort Collins: Go tour the Budweiser Plant, or the New Belgium Brewing if you drink. I don't drink, but by all accounts those are great tours. The Museum of Discovery is very nice, and Fort Collins has some great food options. You will want to go visit Estes Park (on a weekday to avoid the crowds). It is a great day trip, your family will LOVE it. There are elk all over that town, so bring your camera! Fort Collins is a beautiful town (those crazy taxes in CO pay for some very nice parks, street lamps, and road service).
Now, to rain on your parade a bit...
If you vote Conservative, and don't like taxes you will likely wind up moving up here before long. There is lots of BLM activity and the like in Fort Collins- due to COVID, masking was even mandated while you were outside! Lots of taxes, lots of city parking ordinances, ect...
Wyoming is the polar opposite. Abortion and marihuana are basically illegal here, everybody seems to be buying gold and silver, and you can't purchase liquor in grocery stores, for example. If you are a country boy, or especially if you are religious, you may want to work there and live here. Housing is cheaper up here, anyway. :)

Buckle up for housing sticker shock anywhere along the front range. I get to see Ft. Collins every time I open my passport. Our old house with water rights and pasture is now in the middle of suburban sprawl. Zillow shows this 1950's home last sold for 500k. CRAYCRAY

fort collins is excellent living, some of the very best the front range has to offer.

lot's of areas where you can get a brand new house, lots areas to get sweet older homes. nowhere to not pay a lot for a home, unfortunately.

my advice would be to stick to living on the northern end of fort collins if you can. even more spefically, northwest fort collins, if you can.

restaurants galore, trails and bike paths galore, excellent trail running (lory and horsetooth), excellent mountain biking, and a quick shot to the snowy range.

Fun place, lots of culture/entertainment with it being a college town. Friendly folks, can’t go wrong around there in my opinion, enjoy!

Definitely hit up the Melting Pot. Never thought of myself as a fondue guy, but dang that is good stuff.

Fort Collins is a great town. I would love to to move back there. There is a lot to do in the area..the politics suck but everything else is great.

Have you priced housing? You better be getting a serious pay bump to offset you cost of living from Omaha.
Ya, I'm prepared for the housing cost. I got a sizeable bum in pay with the new job. I knew going in to it that the entire raise would be consumed by the higher cost of living.

Lots of micro breweries and good eats in Fort Collins. One of my favorite places is Choice City, tons of beer on tap and a butcher. Also liked the the Mayor, tons of brews. The Matador is a great place to grab some margaritas and grub. I think my all time favorite restaurant in Fort Collins is Rodizio Brazilian grill. Go hungry and clear your schedule.

Rocky Mountain Archery has a great shop and their league nights are fun.

Good luck on the move.

I grew up on Harmony road, it was dirt back then. I moved to The Best Slope 33 years ago. I suppose if I had to live on The Front Range it would be Foco. Good luck.

Bigjay73 knows what he is talking about.
I live in Cheyenne WY, 45 minutes North of Fort Collins.
Here is a list of things to do in Fort Collins: Go tour the Budweiser Plant, or the New Belgium Brewing if you drink. I don't drink, but by all accounts those are great tours. The Museum of Discovery is very nice, and Fort Collins has some great food options. You will want to go visit Estes Park (on a weekday to avoid the crowds). It is a great day trip, your family will LOVE it. There are elk all over that town, so bring your camera! Fort Collins is a beautiful town (those crazy taxes in CO pay for some very nice parks, street lamps, and road service).
Now, to rain on your parade a bit...
If you vote Conservative, and don't like taxes you will likely wind up moving up here before long. There is lots of BLM activity and the like in Fort Collins- due to COVID, masking was even mandated while you were outside! Lots of taxes, lots of city parking ordinances, ect...
Wyoming is the polar opposite. Abortion and marihuana are basically illegal here, everybody seems to be buying gold and silver, and you can't purchase liquor in grocery stores, for example. If you are a country boy, or especially if you are religious, you may want to work there and live here. Housing is cheaper up here, anyway. :)
What the heck is wrong with buying cold beer and stuff for tacos in one stop??

Back