Moved from wrist release to thumb release

G

Guest member 25165

I started noticing inconsistencies in my shooting this summer, even at very modest yards. Ive been shooting archery for a long time and noticed I got into a bad habit of starting to punch the trigger. I switched to a thumb style release and immediately my groups shrank significantly. Anyone else make that switch? What were your results?

I changed about 6 years ago to a thumb because of punching. I definitely shot better once I got consistent and learned to use the release, but I still punch the trigger when shooting at animals 2/3 of the time, even though I NEVER punch at targets any more. Triggers just lead to anxiety for me, which leads to inconsistent trigger-load pressure, start/stop pulling, and poor shooting. Factor in a target that can move and I get super jumpy. I switched to a hinge last winter and found it to be very liberating, just get on the target, transfer holding weight to your back, and smoothly pull.

I started noticing inconsistencies in my shooting this summer, even at very modest yards. Ive been shooting archery for a long time and noticed I got into a bad habit of starting to punch the trigger. I switched to a thumb style release and immediately my groups shrank significantly. Anyone else make that switch? What were your results?
Made the change last year. Consistency improved, but it may be because when you make a switch, you shoot a lot more to get accustomed to the new equipment. Also, the handheld release allows my hand and bicep to absorb some of the stress that would be in my wrist, elbow and shoulder with a wrist release. That has helped out my shoulder tendinitis considerably.

There are a couple threads on it I believe, but I like the Stan perfekt. It fit my hand the best and liked that I could adjust and change most of the features on it.

any recommendations and reviews on the thumb releases you guys switched to?
I went with a trufire hardcore revolution. It was a bit pricey but the cheaper models felt very gritty to me.

any recommendations and reviews on the thumb releases you guys switched to?

I have a Carter Wise Choice. It's the only thumb release I've shot, but I really like it. The Nock 2 It is essentially a Wise Choice with two finders instead of three, and would be another good choice.

I made the switch last year after dealing with some target panic with my index release. You can still punch the trigger on a thumb release, but it happens less often for me than with an index release. Accuracy has improved as well.

I wanted to make a handheld release work, but they just feel too awkward to me. I’ll definitely be going back to the better feeling and simple wrist strap.

Thanks to some advice I received on here I just made the switch. I haven’t seen a difference in my groups but I have sure felt less tension on my shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back