Mountain Lion hunting

So forgive me if this has already been talked about but in my search I didn't find much. I am a stubborn individual and really want to get a mountain Lion without dogs. I don't have a problem with hunting them with dogs, and will do that someday as well. I'm in Colorado so I can't even use electronic calls. I do have the rain shadow hand call and a couple of deer in distress calls. My strategy is much the same as dog hunters in that I find fresh tracks and then start tracking the lion. Once I start seeing the tracks zig zag somewhat I will start calling. My biggest issue here is that I cannot for the life of me (literally) sit still. It seems I always think its going to come in from behind me. Does anyone have advice or tips about how to man up and sit still when trying to hand call a mountain lion. I did get a nice lightweight tree stand for Christmas but not sure how to get into a tree quietly. Any suggestions would be awesome. I am new to Lion hunting so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

When I call for any predator, I try to find places like thisView attachment 169025
If you find a place where one direction of approach is eliminated, it makes it easier to sit still. Or have a buddy set up with his back to you.

Thanks. Yea I try to do the same. But when I'm tracking one down sometimes it's hard to find the perfect location. That looks like a great spot you're in there.

Thanks. Yea I try to do the same. But when I'm tracking one down sometimes it's hard to find the perfect location. That looks like a great spot you're in there.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess you have to hunt them where they are. I spose you could string a line with some bear bells ties to it. Then you'd have some advanced warning if something is real close behind you. A mirror might be too visible if the sun catches it, but could help in low light

Ha ha don't get me wrong, I'm not good at it either! But like you, I'm happy just trying.
I've been trying to chase lions on foot for a couple seasons now, it's hard as heck and I haven't killed one, but I have gotten in a bunch of miles carrying a rifle when I wouldn't have otherwise. I can't sit still either, so I just walk until the tracks look like they go into a place where a cat would be bedded and start to glass. A friend of mine who runs dogs says that's a good way to find them, and if you do spot one it will likely be looking right back at you...

If you are worried about your safety then Ihave to disagree. That looks like a great spot for a lion to sneak up and ambush prey.
It may look that way in the picture, but that was a near vertical face, about 150ft high. Unless that lion was bitten by a radioactive spider or has some repelling gear, I don't think it's happening.

I personally like to be on the edge of an opening to put it at my back. If you can get the opening down wind of you than thats perfect. A predator is unlikely to approach from the open side.
Or as said

"If you find a place where one direction of approach is eliminated, it makes it easier to sit still. Or have a buddy set up with his back to you."
To qualify my opinion I'll say I have never shot a lion but I have called one in behind me while calling yotes. I had no clue until I got up to leave and saw his tracks in the fresh snow 10 yards behind me. He had cut my boot tracks and left. He was in tall sagebrush juniper mix.
Spooky!

If you are worried about your safety then Ihave to disagree. That looks like a great spot for a lion to sneak up and ambush prey.
Yea maybe so. I think I was trying to be super positive. Right now most set-ups would look good, because I'm sitting behind a keyboard (it's where I'm most brave :) ). Then I get out in the woods and I turn mushy. I really wish I didn't run things through my head so much. I mean I've been attacked by a house cat a few times and it was more than unpleasant. I can't even imagine how bad a lion attack would be.

It may look that way in the picture, but that was a near vertical face, about 150ft high. Unless that lion was bitten by a radioactive spider or has some repelling gear, I don't think it's happening.
Pictures can be deceiving.
But "bitten by a radio active spider"
Accurately describes how I felt seeing lions on cliffs.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back