Yeti GOBOX Collection

Mountain Lion Attack

Flatrock

Anyone ever see the show Fight to Survive? I haven't watched it much but there was an episode just on about a woman who was attacked in California. I think it happened quite a few years ago but she is a former Marine and was mauled awfully bad. The re-creation of it wasn't that great but the story and actual pictures of her were pretty crazy. Said she was riding bike down a trail when it ambushed her. The show is on again tonight at 9:30 I think on the Outdoor Channel if anyone is interested in seeing it.

California is a prime example of what happens when predators have no reason to fear humans. Incredible stuff.

How so? There have been three cat fatalities in the most populous state in the last 30 years. Contrast that to the GYE and there have been 7 fatal grizzly bear attacks in the last 6 years. As far as non-fatal attacks the numbers are even further apart.

I don't wonder why lions are out of check in CA. Because lions are not out of check in CA. Human beings are out of check in CA. Human beings are out of check.

How so? There have been three cat fatalities in the most populous state in the last 30 years. Contrast that to the GYE and there have been 7 fatal grizzly bear attacks in the last 6 years. As far as non-fatal attacks the numbers are even further apart.

Grizzlies don't fear humans either. There are far fewer incidents with cat where people hunt them.

I don't know, do GYE states issue this many permits to kill grizz

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=121481

I don't know, but it is often referenced in CA that there is no management. That couldn't be further from the truth as evidenced by our depredition system. Numbers wise just as many cats were killed through depreciation than in years where hunters had permits.

I wish that we could hunt them instead.

In my opinion, the number of incidents, even if multiplied by a hundred, are so negligible as to not warrant any governmental or social response or program or expenditure. Situational awareness and self defense are the only reasonable action. It is not "our" responsibility to to make the world safer for everyone. Just because we can do something about it does not mean we should, especially if the response results in yet a further dumbing down of our ability to maneuver alone in what's left of the natural world.
Hunting should be used to achieve biological/ecological goals, but not safety from attack.

Last edited:
There are far fewer incidents with cat where people hunt them.

Not true on both counts...and if you can find anything for reference to refute it, I'm willing to listen.

Since 1890 around 20 people have been killed by lions...2 of those died from rabies after being bitten by a rabid lion.

Also fair to note a lot of the deaths are young children...maybe leashes on kids would be an effective way to cut down on the number of people killed by lions. IMO, there should be leash laws for kids regardless...

I encountered lions every year deer hunting in Ca. Usually we saw them crossing the road driving in but several times we encountered them in the evenings pursuing the same deer that we were that frequented burns. On one occasion we encountered 3 adult cats together on a ridge. I regularly hunted CNF and my primary area was only a few miles from where the incident in Orange County occurred. There were days that we encountered two cats in the same night on a 20 mile drive in on a dirt road. This area has low deer density and nearly every one we saw was pretty skinny. I am not sure what they are eating but my guess is a few deer and a lot of people's pets along with the occasional pot farmer.

My uncle has an ice chest with holes in the lid from a lion that came in to our camp two weekends in a row at the bowman lake campground and removed the leftover albertsons chicken. One night it carried the ice chest with 22 cans, ice as well as food 100+ yards into the woods. We originally thought it was a bear but watched it go down on the second weekend when the ice chest flipped off the table and woke us up. Lion never ran until we fired a shotgun in the air. 4 adult men sleept in the cab of a f150 crewcab that night.

In contrast I have been hunting in southwest Montana for 6 years now and spend 3 times as many days chasing big game and have only had one sighting.

My observations are not scientific but I do believe that there are "islands" of lion habitat especially in the southern part of California that the populations are in excess.

Ps there were several complaints from area residents about what is presumed to be the lion that killed the guy in Orange County and attacked the woman.

Pss I heard that more money was raised for the orphaned lion cubs than the children of the woman who got ate in auburn recreation area.

Last edited:
Not true on both counts...and if you can find anything for reference to refute it, I'm willing to listen.

Since 1890 around 20 people have been killed by lions...2 of those died from rabies after being bitten by a rabid lion.

Also fair to note a lot of the deaths are young children...maybe leashes on kids would be an effective way to cut down on the number of people killed by lions. IMO, there should be leash laws for kids regardless...

Assuming this is sarcasm, it's funny. If you're serious then, well tell us about how your properly raised your children so we can all learn.

Riley, look who's running CA and the F&G there. You're right, those humans are out of check.

Riley, look who's running CA and the F&G there. You're right, those humans are out of check.

I am right, but not for the reasons you imply. I have found the truth, and the effective means of obtaining a goal, is/are often counter-intuitive.

snip, not worth it.

Last edited:
Back