Mountain biking into camp

Extractor

Anyone have recommendation on tire style for sage/desert terrain? Looking at biking into BLM blocks that have no 4x4 access. Will be towing bike trailer.

With desert terrain I would not worry much about tread. Worry more about flats. The Tubeless system is pretty nice, plus lighter than the tubed method. The best place to lose weight is in the wheels as it is a rotating mass. Check out the Stan's tubeless system.

With desert terrain I would not worry much about tread. Worry more about flats. The Tubeless system is pretty nice, plus lighter than the tubed method. The best place to lose weight is in the wheels as it is a rotating mass. Check out the Stan's tubeless system.

Good advice right there, especially if there is cactus around.

Carry a small square of milk jug plastic in case you cut up the sidewall and need to put a tube in, keeps it from bulging out of the cut.

Edit: I'd go for a pretty aggressive tread if the soil is sandy and/or loose. Also, go wide. I have 2.35 Schwalbes on my bike, using the tubeless set up.

Tubeless for sure.

Tire Choice is going to vary quite a bit, but I would recommend talking to a shop in the area because they will have it narrowed down pretty well. Rim width is really critical to tire performance, volume and shape. The more popular 2.3-2.4" tires today won't do as well on a narrower rim from 10 years ago. Is this a 26" or 29" bike?

Sage country means hardpack or loose over hardpack with means lots or relatively tightly spaced shorter knobs since clearing mud isn't an issue.

Since punctures are more the issue than pinch flats I would consider doubling the amount of sealant in the tire or mixing green slime sealant with stans/caffe latex sealant.

Tire pressure is really critical, most people run too much. Front tire is always 5 psi less than the back.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have zero knowledge about bike tires but I put solid tires on my bike was that a bad idea?

Tire pressure and tire selection probably have the most impact on the way a bike rides off road.

I have solid tires on a golf cart at work so I don't flat driving around a steel mill, they are miserable and things like the aluminum canopies are broken on most of the carts.

Tubeless tires have solved 90% of the flats you got with tubes on a mountain bike.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back