Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Motion sickness?

Had issues a few years ago, started as mornings, dizzy. Gradually got worse, nauseated when getting up off of a creeper... basically any position change.
When I finally went to the doc he sent me to physical therapy. Treated me for BPPV.
Probably not the same.

One of my friends recently had some serious vertigo type symptoms and was diagnosed with unilateral vestibular hypofunction. Possibly happened while he went on rollercoasters with his daughter and nieces and nephews. He was stuck in bed for 10+ days and it was over 4 weeks before he could walk a mile and drive himself. So a bit more extreme.

PCP wasn't much help, they referred him for some testing which didn't show anything and then a physical therapist. There were some exercises to work on but it was mainly rest and wait it out.

I can be in the ocean with 5 foot swells rocking a boat and still hold my breakfast. If I am in a kayak on shore and the waves are gently pushing the kayak, I get dizzy and I need to find solid ground. There are motion sickness patches that you can buy on Amazon without a prescription. They are herbal and they are supposed to reduce motion sickness. They do wonders for me. You can also try sea bands as well.

Doc suspects my ears are fine and the problem is related to anxiety/panic/trauma, especially since it got much worse right after the collision. Doc said it should go away on its own eventually, but timeline is indeterminate. I want relief now though so I can commute to work without having my heart in my throat. He prescribed 2 anxiety meds. One is taken daily to reduce baseline anxiety, and the other is PRN before I drive. We’ll see how goes.

Anxiety meds started working well about a week in, and I can drive much more comfortably now. Unfortunately, it ended up launching me into manic symptoms lasting over a week. Since then mood has been steadily sinking down down down, to the point of punishing depression for 2 weeks now. My wife is handling pretty much everything with the house, kids, etc. I’m off work, and soon I will be figuring out something with my employer as I work in public safety. I have an appointment set up with a psychiatrist to get evaluated for bipolar disorder. Hoping for the best to get back on track soon.

Anxiety meds started working well about a week in, and I can drive much more comfortably now. Unfortunately, it ended up launching me into manic symptoms lasting over a week. Since then mood has been steadily sinking down down down, to the point of punishing depression for 2 weeks now. My wife is handling pretty much everything with the house, kids, etc. I’m off work, and soon I will be figuring out something with my employer as I work in public safety. I have an appointment set up with a psychiatrist to get evaluated for bipolar disorder. Hoping for the best to get back on track soon.
Safety 1st. Have a plan in case you don't feel you can keep safe, including protecting yourself from lethal means like guns while depressed. Alcohol is bad for depression and dangerous with some antianxiety meds. Uncommon for bipolar to appear in adults without notable history of mood instability. Family history is also a strong predictor of bipolar. If this started or got worse after a trauma; or you were reminded of previous trauma, then PTSD or panic disorder could be on the table. Effective treatment is available for almost all mental health conditions, goes beyond meds to include talk therapy which is my field. Mental health prescribers are specifically trained to sort these intricacies out, far beyond the training of family practice Drs. Given the degree of depressed mood you describe, it may seem uncertain that you will recover from whatever this is. That is the (-) mood talking. You can expect to recover. Illness like this can feel very frightening before recovery.

PM if I can answer any more questions.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this buddy.
Hope you get everything straightened out.
Please reach out if you need anything.

I’d stop taking the anxiety meds if they gave me severe depression.
Hard to tell for sure, but I actually suspect I would be worse right now without the meds. I had a terrible depression in 2018 but was stubborn and just rode it out w/o getting on medication. I hunted maybe 1 day that fall - no more of that nonsense.

I’m to the point now where I fully accept I have severe mental illness, and I’m motivated to get adequate treatment.

Hard to tell for sure, but I actually suspect I would be worse right now without the meds. I had a terrible depression in 2018 but was stubborn and just rode it out w/o getting on medication. I hunted maybe 1 day that fall - no more of that nonsense.

I’m to the point now where I fully accept I have severe mental illness, and I’m motivated to get adequate treatment.
Good luck!

Good luck with it! I think half the battle is just accepting it, and then wanting to do something about it is just as hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back