Motion Cameras - Anyone use one at your bait?

ELKCHASER

I am gonna try one of these ( Deer Cam dc-100) at one of my bait sites this year. Anyone had any luck or used the timer function to pattern bears, etc coming in?

I am glad I hunt the other side of the state, Imagine what you might see if you put one of these near Moosies stand! :eek: :eek:

ELKCHASER

We've used cameras for the last two years. Trailtimer photo model. I They proved very valuable.

We thought we had two bears hitting one bait, one being large. After the camera was up we had pics of two big boars and four smaller boar/sows.

The second year the baits were only getting hit and cleaned out once every week or so. After the camera was put up, we found out why. We had lovely pictures of hounds, 3 times in one week. These guys had found our bait sites and were running dogs regularly off of them. Very nice.

Best of Luck,

Tyson

Elk Chaser,
Do I know you? I see you're from Rigby, I was raised there. My folks live a mile south of the high school. Whats your real name?

Tyson Taylor

There is only one thing that has kept me from using a camera at a bait site.That is the fear that someone will steal it !!! Plenty of guys around here lose treestands every year.Sounds like it would be some cool to use though.Are they hard to set up on a bear bait???
Tbone,bears must be diffrent with baits out your way.I hunt in Maine.I run my dogs off the same bait sites all the time.Have never had bears stop coming because of dogs on a site.In fact, several times,have run dogs off a bait first thing in the morning .Gone back to pick up dogs that came back near where we started and baits were already hit again few hours after we had run off them.
Tobey and I ran the same bears off the same sites several days in a row up his way in Maine too.

I wondered the same thing Clint. I have some timers here that the bears have done a job on !! The cameras sure sound like they would be cool to use but for the money they cost I think I would be afraid to lose them.

Buckshot, Wylee and me set up a counter before. What we did was tie it on a stump and leave it there .. the stump was and older stump and one day the bears had ripped out the stump, and broke the strap on the timer.... We salvaged the timer but were carefull from there on out..... If you put them further back from the bait, YOU can put them higher up....

THe first tme we did honey burns, I climbed into my treestand... WELL.. I think I had honey spell on the boots were we spilled it .. becasue a bear had gone up into the tree and checked it out.. I had a ripped seat and Claw marks all over the stand... :eek:

I haven't heard of anyone stealing a camera here... not to say it wouldn't happen.. BUt I haven't heard of it....

We put the cameras back from the bait about 10 yards. Clean hands is the key to not having them trash the camera. We've never had them mess with it.

I was planning to hang a camera over the baits for the first time this year but was worried about the bears trashing it. It'd be cool to see how many, what size and what color bears were using the bait.....but it'd be kind of a bummer to find the mangled camera in a heap of steaming bear crap. I figured keeping scent off it would be important but wondered if the flash might not get their interest and start 'em chewing on it. Maybe I'll try putting it in a metal ammo can or something.

Thanks,

Clint

Clint.. you know what a bear can do with a can..... *KRUSH* :D :D

Seriously though, if ya keep it scent free, then you should be OK..... be carefull not to dump greese or do any honey burns around that tree though.. CUZ any smell on a tree will get the bear to scratch anything they can on that tree...

HEY T-bone.. didn't you get a pic of that bear you shot the same day at that site..

ALSO, is your bosses hunting that area again... I'm actually thinking of going to... Uhh lets call it the road before Secret hunting spot "X" (YOU know were "X" is right .. YOU sent me a MAP once via E-mail
)... I'm thinking about running a bait site on the same side you did but up that road just before the "X"... WHATS your thoughts of that area ?!?!

Moosie,

Yep we got pictures of my bear at 2:00 in the afternoon. I arrowed him at 7:45 that same night.

I'm not sure if the x-bosses are baiting the x-canyon or not. I'm guessing they'll stick to lower down on the main road. X is a good one, there are 3 big bears in there. Two blackies and a cinamon with a white patch on his chest. If they made it through fall they will be there again this year. You should go stick one of them.

T-Bone

I have 4 or 5 trail cameras that I use all the time. For the bears we have made a steel tubing cage to go around the camera. Keeping the cameras scent free is a good idea, using rubber gloves would be recommended. If you can tell me how to post the pictures on this site I would be glad to.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back