Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mother Nature is a cruel SOB

Good message to share Antlerradar! I cannot remember where I read something about current in a river, but the power of just a tiny, little bit of current is unbelievable.

No way was I getting out on that ice. That bend in the river is deep and full of sunken logs that keep the water swirling. Ice can be thick in one spot and paper thin a few feet away. One wrong step and you are dead.
My oldest brother was seven when he chased a ball onto the iced Missouri River in Great Falls. He went through; a passing truck driver attempted to save him but barely made it out himself. I was only four then, but what ensued is indelibly etched in my mind as a cautionary flag anytime near icy river. My next older brother, six at the time and who watched in horror, was never the same after.

My oldest brother was seven when he chased a ball onto the iced Missouri River in Great Falls. He went through; a passing truck driver attempted to save him but barely made it out himself. I was only four then, but what ensued is indelibly etched in my mind as a cautionary flag anytime near icy river. My next older brother, six at the time and who watched in horror, was never the same after.
That is extremely sad, so sorry for you're loss.

I remember a herd of 40 going through the ice on Blue Mesa in CO, way up by the Lake City bridge years ago. People were very upset that we wouldn’t do anything. I’m not sure what exactly they thought 4 fisheries techs were going to do about it.

We did a lot of work on river ice in that job. Standing on the ice watching the current ripping through a hole next to me always made me feel like it was a done deal if I went through. I’d be under the ice and gone before anyone knew what happened.

I can't recall where I heard this, but I think it's true...

Back in the day, when there were tens of millions of bison on the great plains, a really large percentage of them drowned each year- like 5% annual mortality from drowning. Lousy swimmers that crossed rivers en masse. The drowned carcasses were an important food source for the grizzlies that then inhabited the plains as well.

I can't recall where I heard this, but I think it's true...

Back in the day, when there were tens of millions of bison on the great plains, a really large percentage of them drowned each year- like 5% annual mortality from drowning. Lousy swimmers that crossed rivers en masse. The drowned carcasses were an important food source for the grizzlies that then inhabited the plains as well.
Off topic, but if you ever find a time machine, take me with you. Can't imagine seeing grizzly on the plains along with millions of bison and elk

I remember a herd of 40 going through the ice on Blue Mesa in CO, way up by the Lake City bridge years ago. People were very upset that we wouldn’t do anything. I’m not sure what exactly they thought 4 fisheries techs were going to do about it.

We did a lot of work on river ice in that job. Standing on the ice watching the current ripping through a hole next to me always made me feel like it was a done deal if I went through. I’d be under the ice and gone before anyone knew what happened.
I almost lost my life underneath that bridge years ago, chasing a stupid perch. Haven't really ice fished much anymore.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back