Mother nature is a bitch!

I would guess he beat the odds. Wonder what the odds are of a bull on public land
surviving past 9 yrs
I am not 100% but I think we have him on trail camera in 2016 then again in 2019. If not it's a really similar bull. With that S curve towards his 5th and 6th points.

He looks kinda fat, but his spine was very defined and his ribs were pretty defined also. It was one of the crappiest things I've watched in nature as he tried to get up but just couldnt.

That is not the way many winter kill. I wonder if he had a heart attack or an aneurysm. I remember the winter kill north of Gardiner in 91. There was dead elk everywhere and many of them took a long time to die judging by the piles poop behind them.

That is not the way many winter kill. I wonder if he had a heart attack or an aneurysm. I remember the winter kill north of Gardiner in 91. There was dead elk everywhere and many of them took a long time to die judging by the piles poop behind them.
We had a very mild winter here in this part of the state and they seemed to start migrating a little early. So i think a combination of old age and lack of quality food right now once he got up higher was his demise. Plus I dont know how he ate anything with his nubs for teeth. There was 7 other bulls another hill over about 3/4s a mile from him. He probably tried to keep up with them and didnt have it in him.

Three of the other bulls. 2 of them shed obviously.
20200329_163418.jpg20200329_163343.jpg

Wow … to actually witness the natural order. I find it interesting the depth of the snow that bull was traversing.

Back