More scope than needed

Rooster52

A friend of mine brought his rifle over to shoot,his scope was 6-24x56MM.WOW that thing looked like a 20 gallon drum setting on his Remington Mountain rifle.That scope added a bunch of weight to that rifle.And he said he was taking it elkunting.
How many of you know someone that puts more glass than needed on there hunting rifles?Where a good 4X will do,oreven at the most a 3-9.
Your shooting a big game animal not a gopher at 400 yards.

I shoot a 6.5-20 power vortex that probably doesn't way any more than most of the 3-9's.
I love it and doubt I'll ever go back.

I've had a Leoupold 2x7 on my 7mm mag for since I bought it in 1980 and have never needed more scope. To me 400 yards is a long shot.

I have leupold 1.75x6 vx3s on all my rifles, 340WM 270Wm 3 standard. 270s. I have enough cute half moon scars over my right eye. They are really bright especially in the early AM and late PM. The 340 was not about to much recoil, it was lack of eye relief with a Swarovski scope. Should have figured that a rubber coated eyepiece had a message to send. It was advertised as 3 inches, but was closer to 2.5. The Leupolds are from 5-4 at 6x. I liked it so much I replaced all of my old scopes so I had the same sight picture and eye relief with all of my rifles.They all come up the same with no adjustments needed when something important is about to happen. FWIW. GJ

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back