Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

More Bears !!

George P

Dont know if you guys are sick of bear pics or not but here are a couple more !!I will write about the hunts later if you guys arent bored with the stories.First pic is sept2000
View

Treed By Whiskey(not in pic),Jack on left and Rock on the right
This pic is Sept99
View

Treed By Spot,Whiskey and Lady

[This message has been edited by George P (edited 03-18-2001).]

Love the pics George! Nice looking Walkers!
biggrin.gif
Do you have a breed preferance for bear?

Heres the stories.First pic. Walk hunted Whiskey and Rock across a mountain where i had 2 baits.Both had been getting hit hard but werent touched today.I figured the bears had to be in the area so I took a reading and headed right through the middle of the piece.Whiskey struck right in front of me on a cold cold track.She moved it real good for such a bad track opening every 40 yds or so.When she had gone 200 yds Rock started opening a little.By the time they were almost to the top of the mountain they were both hitting pretty steady.I turned in my Jack dog who cut right for them.Whiskey and Rock jumped the bear right after Jack got to them.Perfect timing(lucky).Whiskey is 6 and Rock and Jack just turned 3 so it seemed like a pretty good combo of dogs.
Up ,down and all around the mountain they went for an hour and a half when they dropped to the other side and we didnt hear them for a while.We went to the truck and drove around the mt beeping them.Got real close from the highway and the tree switches were pounding.Got out to listen and they were treed about 300 yds in !!!
Had my buddy,just the 2 of us that day, cover the bear who was only up about 20 feet but didnt look at all interested in coming out,while I tied the dogs back.One 12 ga slug and it was over right at the tree.It dressed out at 307 and didnt have any fat on him.Would have been a 400 lber with a good layer of fat.
I know thats not a big one in Tobeys country but down here in "Little Boston" its a nice bear.

Good story George
Any bear over 200 is big in my book.Exspecialy when our biologist clamed the average wight of a Maine Black bear is 140#
I haven't showed you the Big one yet LOL

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Tobey, I agree with you that any bear over 200 is a big one in Maine and N.H. About half the bears I have taken in the last couple years have been over 200.Most of the others are about 160 or so. How do you figure the weight if you skin them in the woods? I know there is a formula or something but I dont remember what it is.Hows whiskey doing? Looks like I am heading out to Wisconsin to pick up those bear dogs next week.The guy from Idaho is meeting me there.

second story. Dogs struck from the rig at 630am. Beautiful race that ran beside the road for a mile.Heard 100% of the chase.Treed about 200 yds in right off a tote road.Couldnt have been much easier.Client was a nice enough guy from out of state who belonged to a shooting club.Best shooter there,trophys and everthing.owned 40 guns.5o yds from the tree I had him load up.Didnt know how to load more than 1 at a time in his lever 45-70 !! OH-OH Loaded his gun for him.
Big bear 15yds up in the crotch of a hardwood.Whole bear out in the open.2 young kids with me run for the dogs and drag them out of the way.Tell hunter to shoot.Click !!
Yell at him to try another. Click!!.Now I am screaming as the bear is coming out.Click !!
Bear hits the ground as i am handing the hunter my 44 handgun.Turn the dogs loose and they are covering the bear 20yds in front of us.Whiskey grabbing a back leg,Spot pulling from the side and Lady barking face to face.Unreal. I yell at the hunter,"what happened" he doesnt have a clue.I am ripping mad now.100 yds and the bear trees again.This time he is hanging 10 feet up on the side of the tree.Tobey and you other bear hunters know this is trouble.I take the hunter by the arm and walk,no drag him,up to point blank and tell him to let him have it with my 44.I have my buddys 45 with me now.Bear sees us and comes right out with the hunter not shooting till he is into the dogs and I am screaming not to shoot.He fires and hits the bear at 10 feet,no lie.Bear runs off with the dogs really putting it to him.
You wont believe what happens next.100 yds and trees again.This time he goes way up and gets out on a limb.I cant believ how lucky we are.We pull back 2 dogs and leave Lady on the tree to keep the bear occupied.Hunter shoots his 45-70 which goes off and hits the bear good and out he falls.Lady jumps him and the bear gets her leg in his mouth.I run at the bear,touch fur and pull the trigger.Bear lets go and turns and faces us.Hunter kills him with a round to the neck.30 stitches in Lady and I didnt stop shaking the rest of the day.Turns out the hunter was shooting handloads someone gave him a few years ago.He said he had sighted in the gun that week but it hadnt been fired in years.The tip covered the vet bill.LOL

George
We estimate most of them and I bet we are within 10#The big ones 300+ we ether go get the scales and blocks or come back later and way the carcus.We way all our bait shot bears and before doing it we estamate.No one will bet against us LOL I am usually a little high and David a little low (I get the bigger tip)LOL Whiskey is doing good she sure like this warm wether,they all been laying on top of there houses laitly.Let me know when you want to swap some dogs around.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Tobey, You certainly have that Maine sense of humor.The first bear above might have fooled you in the tree.He has a huge head on him.I was thinking 400 for sure.Then when we gutted him I saw there was about 0 fat so that really threw me weight wise.
Probably do some dog swapping when i get back the weekend of April 1.Hopeing you could meet me half way,maybe Biddeford.LOL Think maybe Augusta??? I will be beat from driving 2500 miles.I hope I made a good move buying this guy out.He seems like a real straight shooter. I have gotten educated from the best over the years (Your uncle honest Bob LOL)so think I am all set.Time will tell.

George
How is your farther BILL RODNEY doing theas days
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

he still catching 50 bear a year LOL
without leaving the house?????
I am going to be at the show in Augusta on friday the 30th Working the Maine tree hound booth.
------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

[This message has been edited by Tobey (edited 03-19-2001).]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back