Moose in Montana

I'll agree that auction tags are not ideal, and some states give far to many of them, IMO. However, Montana gives very few, and they are auctioned off at wildlife banquets to support their causes. In Montana, Ducks Unlimited gets the Moose Tag for Auction, so whatever this guy spent- let's call it $40K, goes to DU for their projects. Wildsheep Foundation sees the highest bids, with the tag going for ~half a million some years. Would I rather see a guy who's applied for 20 years kill one of those animals? Absolutely. Does that kind of money help wildlife and help us as sportsmen create more opportunity for our kids? Absolutely. There's a fine balance to be found with Auction Tags- it's my opinion, but I'd say that's one of the things MTFWP has done "about right" in recent years.
I'm not saying that the money from the auctions isn't used wisely. I'm saying that there are other ways to get the money. For example, I worked for a company that got huge tax breaks from the state of Montana worth millions of dollars. That company made as much money as possible, as quickly as possible, then shut down most of their operations in the state leaving thousands unemployed. The tax breaks did zero good for the state, or for the people of the state. It should have been used to fund state operations like FWP.

Don’t know how to score a moose. Any guesses on where this guy would stand? Not sure if he still exists or not but this was in Montana.

Attachments

• 66EF5C96-C40F-4349-AB0E-8F0242609C5A.jpeg
    66EF5C96-C40F-4349-AB0E-8F0242609C5A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • 7C6C6000-FA69-4A00-9BF0-1F7CE120E8A8.jpeg
    7C6C6000-FA69-4A00-9BF0-1F7CE120E8A8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
Don’t know how to score a moose. Any guesses on where this guy would stand? Not sure if he still exists or not but this was in Montana.
Hard to say. It looks tall but without a tape it’s a guess. Here is the rough way to see if a Shiras moose is a good one.

Attachments

• 2263F78E-E417-4017-90B0-1A2D55A04DB0.png
    2263F78E-E417-4017-90B0-1A2D55A04DB0.png
    837.6 KB · Views: 31
I'll agree that auction tags are not ideal, and some states give far to many of them, IMO. However, Montana gives very few, and they are auctioned off at wildlife banquets to support their causes. In Montana, Ducks Unlimited gets the Moose Tag for Auction, so whatever this guy spent- let's call it $40K, goes to DU for their projects. Wildsheep Foundation sees the highest bids, with the tag going for ~half a million some years. Would I rather see a guy who's applied for 20 years kill one of those animals? Absolutely. Does that kind of money help wildlife and help us as sportsmen create more opportunity for our kids? Absolutely. There's a fine balance to be found with Auction Tags- it's my opinion, but I'd say that's one of the things MTFWP has done "about right" in recent years.
Hard to say. It looks tall but without a tape it’s a guess. Here is the rough way to see if a Shiras moose is a good one.
Moose scoring doesn’t actually make a lot of sense to me. Sometimes highest score could be an average paddle with hundreds of the smaller points coming off. I would just shoot a wide one with nice large paddles. If you wanted maximum score you would still shoot a wide one with hopefully large paddles but tons of small points coming off the paddles those really add up

This OP has been edited as I led with my chin asking for help without a proper introduction and back drop. I am adding a bit more color about me and my journey as to help folks understand that I’m not some weekend warrior with a checkbook and a trophy room. As one wise member told me- hindsight is 20/20. I am obviously a newbie to hunt talk and this kind of forum.
That said, I am an avid archer from Michigan. I’ve hunted predominantly with a stick and string since I could pull a bow back. For decades I have been building points and apply all over out west. My life’s journey is to successfully take the NA 29 big game animals with a stick and string. The Shiras Moose is the very last of the moose species to complete my moose slam. It is my 2021 goal to put my time in and find an exceptional moose. (I’m not discrediting moose as they are all special, I just think with time and effort and the options that this tag gives that I owe it to myself and others to find a great moose) Like many of you, I put my all into my hunts. No free lunches. I scout hard. I spend tons of time on pre-work and data collection. The taste of a tag sandwich is something I know well.
Given how special moose tags are I really was hoping to leverage a new resource as recommended by a close friend in hunt talk. Like the greenhorn I am, I skinned my knees to the bone on my OP.
My hope is that those who have read this thread give me a little grace and see the spirit of my ask as a hunter.

In order to keep the OP in tact it can be viewed below:
I wanted to reach out to those in the know as it relates to Moose in Montana. I have been blessed with a Montana Governors Moose tag for 2021 and am looking for a special moose. I have hunted Montana for 20+years. I know several nooks and crannies in the state and have come across some nice bull moose in the Region 2 Kootenai and Lolo. I have researched and plan to lay glass on the Red Rocks Lake Unit in the SW as well as the NW corner Lincoln county unit during my scouting trips. My research suggests Wolves have pounded the Region 1 and 2 moose and elk so I don’t want to waste precious time. What I am finding is every unit has the potential for a 150-160” or better moose but it comes down to knowing a guide, private owner, or a hunter who has an eye on one. My post is to get any insight or even connect with an outfitter/guide/ land owner/fellow hunter that is willing to help with any insight. I can hunt anytime, any unit, any weapon.....Any useful insight is helpful.(y)
Thank you in advance!
I think you’ll find Rokslide a more useful resource for what you are after. It is a resource more tailored to pay-to-play hunters. HT is primarily a self-guided, DIY forum. There are a few contributors on here who are in the top .1% economically. One of my observations about those contributors is, generally, they demonstrate a measure of humility and gratitude regarding the hunting opportunities they are afforded as a function of their means.

In your OP you announced that you bought an opportunity that the majority of forum members will never have in their lifetimes. Then you go on to say your #1 priority is a trophy-class animal, and ask to receive free info from the rabble on where to find one.

Many of us apply for decades attempting to snag a moose tag, or patiently save for years and years to hunt self-guided moose in Alaska, or guided in Canada. Personally, I hope to sock away $ for 15 or so years so I can eventually go on an opportunity moose hunt.

Governor and commissioner tags are a sore spot for many of us as it can be argued that it takes away from opportunities from everyone else who waits in line for an opportunity or buys lottery tickets for a tag, and is also destroying the public trust doctrine of North American conservation model. @mtmuley said it best - maybe you have a better understanding now of why you get that kind of feedback. I doubt that by repeatedly rewriting your OP you’re convincing anyone that your true colors are different from many persons’ first impressions.

Nevertheless, you’ve already received some helpful PM’s in response to your OP. Good luck on your hunt.

I'd say it scores around 50inches. So x2 plus spread 140-145. It's a nice one. Don't see many shiras with big brows like that.

How big is this one? Hint the backpack is 4" longer than a Badlands.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-085703_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210606-085703_Photos.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 29
Looking for some intel on judging moose size early in the antler growth. How much antler should a respectable bull have this time of year?

I think you’ll find Rokslide a more useful resource for what you are after. It is a resource more tailored to pay-to-play hunters. HT is primarily a self-guided, DIY forum. There are a few contributors on here who are in the top .1% economically. One of my observations about those contributors is, generally, they demonstrate a measure of humility and gratitude regarding the hunting opportunities they are afforded as a function of their means.

In your OP you announced that you bought an opportunity that the majority of forum members will never have in their lifetimes. Then you go on to say your #1 priority is a trophy-class animal, and ask to receive free info from the rabble on where to find one.

Many of us apply for decades attempting to snag a moose tag, or patiently save for years and years to hunt self-guided moose in Alaska, or guided in Canada. Personally, I hope to sock away $ for 15 or so years so I can eventually go on an opportunity moose hunt.

Governor and commissioner tags are a sore spot for many of us as it can be argued that it takes away from opportunities from everyone else who waits in line for an opportunity or buys lottery tickets for a tag, and is also destroying the public trust doctrine of North American conservation model. @mtmuley said it best - maybe you have a better understanding now of why you get that kind of feedback. I doubt that by repeatedly rewriting your OP you’re convincing anyone that your true colors are different from many persons’ first impressions.

Nevertheless, you’ve already received some helpful PM’s in response to your OP. Good luck on your hunt.
I get it. I would point out that buying one governors tag hardly equates to being a pay to play hunter. I am on a quest using stick n string to go after a top end bull which I personally think I should be able to do given the flexibility the tag offers. Trust that I have diaries of hard earned hunts with tags I have drawn. In fact this is my first governors tag ever. Haven’t had the means myself until recently.

Last edited:
That’s challenging good for you. How far along are you on the 29? Do you plant to do it all with recurve?
11 animals left including my Shiras Moose. I have killed 3 of my slam with a compound and the balance with tradition equipment. I have a wing long bow I’ve killed elk and deer with. My dall ram, mule deer, and Roosevelt Elk were done using my Mathews. I’d like to say it was all done traditionally but had to extend my range on a several hunts.

Why does DU get a moose tag? Wetlands? Is there a governor's sandhill crane tag... Money to good cause but just seems mis aligned.
Until their is a "Moose Unlimited" or other conservation group that draws attendees specifically for the benefit and conservation of Moose, I suppose DU gets to auction the tag with their involvement in wetland projects. Similar to how Goat tags usually go through the WSF, even with Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance.

Looking for some intel on judging moose size early in the antler growth. How much antler should a respectable bull have this time of year?
When I had my tag, I found that by the 4th of July, you were seeing just about a finalized set of antlers, so figure that this time of year they're rapidly growing to get to that point. That said, If it has split fronts now and is moving past their ears, I think you're looking at a potentially good Montana Shiras. For a quick field guide, their ears sit around 30" apart when they are in an "alert" pose with their ears out to the sides- At least that is what I found to be true. Split fronts give you a much greater paddle "length", as you then get to measure the airspace between the upper most notch and lower most notch, being the split in the front versus a single front, where you'd measure from the upper most notch to the notch made where the single front meets the paddle.

When I had my tag, I found that by the 4th of July, you were seeing just about a finalized set of antlers, so figure that this time of year they're rapidly growing to get to that point. That said, If it has split fronts now and is moving past their ears, I think you're looking at a potentially good Montana Shiras. For a quick field guide, their ears sit around 30" apart when they are in an "alert" pose with their ears out to the sides- At least that is what I found to be true. Split fronts give you a much greater paddle "length", as you then get to measure the airspace between the upper most notch and lower most notch, being the split in the front versus a single front, where you'd measure from the upper most notch to the notch made where the single front meets the paddle.
Good information. Thank you! This is my first moose tag and first moose hunt, so I’ll take all the information I can get. Thanks again!

I will keep you in mind for when the border opens up. Know of a hunt for $1250 gets you tag and camping permit to hunt moose. I have been dreaming of doing it for years and then covid shut down our plans. You aren't into any weird stuff are you. My wife would freak going on a hunt with someone on internet but I just can't get my buddies to commit. I have 22 colorado elk points that I might need to burn 1st though. Thinking of 76 now so might get some good scouting in for a future cow moose hunt.

I don't hate you, I just have no respect for people who consider themselves hunters but don't want to hunt. I read your shit post, it wasn't easy, but I read it.
What the hell are you doing on here?? take that shit attitude somewhere else, pal. I have a hard time reading your shit responses. But still, there they are and I read along.. Was this websight simply made for shittalking amongst us? I doubt that very much…….

Well said 👏🏼 I didn’t even know some of that and I live here. Even if your particular position on the governors tags isn’t in the OPs favor, you kept it cordial and articulated your point very well. Can’t stand to see some the other fellows being so barbaric toward new users sometimes, regardless the topic or advice being asked….

Well said 👏🏼 I didn’t even know some of that and I live here. Even if your particular position on the governors tags isn’t in the OPs favor, you kept it cordial and articulated your point very well. Can’t stand to see some the other fellows being so barbaric toward new users sometimes, regardless the topic or advice being asked….
One other point is that Huntalk isn't the best forum from a knowledge standpoint. I doubt most of the keyboard warriors on here have even seen or know what a 160 moose is. I know I sure don't. People come here for about 2-3 reasons: 1) talk crap to make themselves feel better(thats why I'm here) 2) They actually know nothing about hunting 3) they are bored. None of these reasons are going to help you put a 160 plus on da ground! You paid big money for the tag. Best bet is to pay some more for some actual knowledgeable/help. I have been reading this forum for over 10 years. I haven't learned much about actual hunting. And your welcome for the helpful tip. I love helping other hunters.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back