Moose Hunt Help, Help, Help

Water Wapiti

One of my good hunting buds drew a once in a lifetime Moose tags here in WA State and I going with. Yeeee Haawwwwhhh The tag is for GMU 124 east of Hwy 395. Oct. 1st - Nov. 30. Any Moose.

This will be our first Moose hunt and I'm pumped. Hopeing you guys might help us out a bit. Tactics, calling, info on the area? We're looking at the first three weeks in October for the hunt.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

WW

What no one hunts Moose? Anyway, here's what I got from other hunting BBs and some research.

One hunter recommends we hunt the late season as the bulls could be anywhere during the rut, later in the season they form bach herds and hang around the same area. They’re easier to find and come back to in the morn, and most the "dinks" have been shot off.

Calls; from the videos I've watched it seems that I could imitate a bull or cow call, with my own voice. Not sure we'll need to spend any money on calls.

Another hunter says he's seen a lot of Moose near Diamond Lake just north of Hwy 2, west of Newport. Unfortunately Hwy 2 is the GMU boundary and the lake is on the wrong side of the road.

Moosie and others have provide some information on judging rack size on a another post in this forum. Thanks guys.

Another hunter suggests we go with an outfitter,Bear Paw Outfitters .

That’s all I've got for now, will post what ever info I get.

WW

WW lemme get a hold of a good friend of mine in the NWTF that lives in that area and maybe he can help ya out man.I get back to ya in a few days.

Game Dept. sent my bud Jerry a letter with his Tag. Letter said we should checkout Brickel Creek, and Thompson Creek (N. of Newman).

Jerry says he may be open to an Outfitter, still researching Bear Paw Outfitters, anyone have any experience with them or another outfitter you could recommend?

WW

Well let me tell you about calling Moose.... they are DUMB !!!! JSut watch the Video 2-3 times and Cup our HAnds around your mouth and call one in. When I shot my Idaho moose, there were 2 gals camped right next to us that were also hunting moose, thier criteria was to shoot one they could ride their 4-wheeler up to.. And when I hiked mine out I told them we heard others.

They went up there, made a few cow MUuuuuuuurrhh sounds and here comes Bullwinkele running up with a Hard on :D :D

that being said, it also has to be the Right timing. If your Area is like were I hunted south East Idaho, around the 1st week in Oct they start to get Vocal and tearing things up. They are alos easy to see and big.

I will have to say that even though they are big, dumb and vocal, they can move through the brush at amaising speeds and hide well.

Good luck on the hunt, should be fun. Have your Bud take pictures and tell him kudos on drawing an Awsome tag !!

Thanks Moosie, just hope I don't MUuuuuuuurrrhhh them to sleep. My bud wants me to wear an helmet with plywood horns attached. Make few MUuuurrhhhs and beat on a couple of trees with a boat paddle. With 9 other guys out there tryin to fill their tags, and god knows how many bulls, I'm thinking this REALLY DOESN"T SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO ME. :eek:
elkgrin.gif
:( Last thing I need is some horny bull finding out I'm uglier than something he would want to sleep with.
fight.gif

WW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back