Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana unit 261 help.

Elkslayer 100 thanks i hope you can help. So far i have found out on this thread that;
1. Deer over 170 arent possible unless i pay $2000 to access private land
2. No one knows who those land owners are
3. Those landowners dont have more than 100 acres.
4. All private land is now under weapons restrictions.
Seems like this might be a tuff hunt .

Stand Corrected

Im sorry I miss understood the new regulations. You can use a rifle during general rifle season. Good Luck

Elkslayer 100 thanks i hope you can help. So far i have found out on this thread that;
1. Deer over 170 arent possible unless i pay $2000 to access private land
You will need to knock on doors and find landowners in the area. This is not to place to find that.
2. No one knows who those land owners are
Try Cadastral mapping for the state of Montana.
3. Those landowners dont have more than 100 acres.
There might be a few with more land. Just not a bunch.
4. All private land is now under weapons restrictions.
This was answered on my previous post had you bothered to read it.
Seems like this might be a tuff hunt .
Nope, compared to average mule deer hunts, this is not tuff, at all. The "Tuff" part is getting permission.

My answers

You guys aren't helping me find the information I'm hoping to pick up without bothering to start a thread of my own. I thought this was a helpful place.

wingman1, I'm having a hard time seeing the deer on Google earth. You reckon you could fly me around a bunch of those different properties so I could get a better look? I'll be happy to buy you a Big Mac for your time. :)

You guys aren't helping me find the information I'm hoping to pick up without bothering to start a thread of my own. I thought this was a helpful place.

wingman1, I'm having a hard time seeing the deer on Google earth. You reckon you could fly me around a bunch of those different properties so I could get a better look? I'll be happy to buy you a Big Mac for your time. :)

No Big Mac required Gerald...let me know when your ready. :)

Here's a buck off my back deck with huge bases taken today.

I find it amusing that people base their opinion of 261 on the swingset bucks, as I like to call them. Last year there were 3 200 inch deer taken that I know of and a number of 180 to 190 class bucks. Hunting the lowlands is a slam dunk if you can get access. I know a ton of landowners,(including the one where the cell tower is) none of which charge an access fee. If that kind of hunting is OK with you, start knocking on doors. Don't believe there aren't any bucks in the mountains of 261. Problem is, most tag holders don't even hunt the hills. The hunt can be tough, or extremely easy. Take your pick. mtmuley

Removed because jryoung is right, this was not the right post to rant on or defend.

Last edited:
Shotgun 1, if you don't scout in a loincloth, barefooted in the snow 137 days straight before the season you ain't a hunting ninja and you don't belong on Hunttalk. :) Consider yourself bashed. :)

Shotgun1, I largely agree but, the OP followed a terrible formula. 1st, drew a tough tag and says he knows nothing about the unit. Second, seeks 200" deer but will "settle" for 190. Third, says no time to sound and only a few days to hunt. The combination of these three facts is plenty of reason to give the poster a hard time.

Shotgun1, I largely agree but, the OP followed a terrible formula. 1st, drew a tough tag and says he knows nothing about the unit. Second, seeks 200" deer but will "settle" for 190. Third, says no time to sound and only a few days to hunt. The combination of these three facts is plenty of reason to give the poster a hard time.

Wait, the poster was serious?! I thought this was a joke.....

I'm just hoping he can find time in his busy fall to join me on my hunt for a 200 plus inch muley!!

Jdan9 you cant beleive everything you read on the internet. ;) . I got the responses i figured i would get. I will do just fine with the tag , saw 4 in my hay feilds two nights ago out past their ears and one was already forked out. See you in hanksville in october!

Back