Montana Turkey Hunting

Tjudeburton

Hey Everyone!

I'm heading up to Montana this spring. 1st Trip ever to the state in general. My buddy and I are going to hunt birds in eh SE part of the state. We have both hunter turkeys for over 20 years and have been to multiple states. First mountain hunt. We plan to hunt like we elk/deer hunt. Camp on our backs and move until we find birds. I've read everything I can possibly find on the Montana website and we are living in ONX. Few questions for people that have hunted this region. We will be there the 1st week of May.

1. We are planning on the Custer National Forest. Is there a crap ton of people here? Should we focus on smaller tracts of BLM? not asking for waypoints

2. Grizzlies? or just black bears here? Good either way, just curious

3. Weather? Does it snow in may up there??? LOL, I'm from Texas...

Any advice/input is welcome. Excited about the trip, and want to be prepared

1.) SE MT, especially that national forest that you are looking at is not mountainous. Some hills sure, but not mountains. I would not try to backpack hunt for turkeys there. You could waste a few days in an area with no turkeys real quick. Yes, there will be people out hunting.

2.) Black bears and lions
3.) Yes it can snow. It could be 80 and sunny or 10 degrees with snow.

Enjoy your trip!

Sounds Like Texas! Here today is 26 and we are stuck at home with ice everywhere. It's gonna be 81 on Saturday! Lol Thanks for the input.. I'm also looking east of broadus on BLM land.

Would the Custer be a viable Bear option? My bro in law was planning on taking his wife on an OTC bear hunt this spring. The terrain looks like something she could handle. She will be 4 months Preggo on the trip

I’ve hunted turkeys on the South Dakota side too in the buttes and there are a lot of turkeys over there and less hunters. I wouldn’t personally backpack for turkeys over there, there are roads within a 30 minute walk from any direction in Custer

Also you won’t be in the mountains and do you have a plan to keep your beer cold while backpacking? Little details like that can make or break a tough Montana hunt.
Im happy with truck camping too! I'm willing to hike if need be

I’ve hunted turkeys on the South Dakota side too in the buttes and there are a lot of turkeys over there and less hunters. I wouldn’t personally backpack for turkeys over there, there are roads within a 30 minute walk from any direction in Custer
Good to know. We are happy to truck camp.. But we will hike if need be. Thanks for the input!

If have not previously hunted "big" country then consider getting a bigger, louder box call than might use in Eastern woods. Getting sound to carry 100s of yards in a valley or canyon while 25 mph winds is a different challenge. A box call is about your only option. Turkey density can be less as well so getting a tom to travel to you might be tough so being mobile is good. Since might need to go towards the turkey, a pop-up blind is not as interesting as a bit of a camo fence which you can deploy in a minute or two to cover up some of your movement as lift the shotgun or set down a call. Good luck.

It’s easy to kill birds in Montana, easy to get permission, easy to kill em on public. Walk and call, if they aren’t responding they probably aren’t there, move on. Dumbass Merriam's. No mountains out that way. I could send you some pins, don’t even care.

It’s easy to kill birds in Montana, easy to get permission, easy to kill em on public. Walk and call, if they aren’t responding they probably aren’t there, move on. Dumbass Merriam's. No mountains out that way. I could send you some pins, don’t even care.
I’d take em haha!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back