Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Spring Bear - Lolo

Bombsnbullets

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers about spring bear in Montana. Last year I hunted in HD 420 as well as 316. I found many hunters and no bears. This year I am switching things up and heading to the northwest corner of the state to try logging roads. Right now I am looking at starting near Thompson Falls (in 104) and working my way north. I don't road hunt so I am trying to find closed logging roads. I know that spring bear season is vastly affected by snowpack, so i'm trying to be as flexible as possible with hunting locations and access strategies. Any suggestions and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Lots of bears in that country; 1+ bear/sq mi in some areas of Reg 1. Later in May you hunt Reg 1, the better.

You have a solid game plan. Hike the roads, find grass and bear sign, shoot bear. It just takes a lot of hiking and looking. Evenings are best.

Not sure where you live, but if you're too far for casual weekend scouting then I'd look into the NRCS SNOTEL sites...there are a lot of them in NW Montana at mid- to high-elevations, and they collect daily temperature, snow depth, and other stuff...it can be helpful in determining what elevation band to start at if you're coming in cold.

There are a lot of bear in Region 1. You'll have a good time.

Awesome, that is really helpful. I read about snowtel on another thread, but haven’t ever used it. Seems like an effective tool. I live in Three Forks so I’m looking at a 4 hour drive minimum. I still plan on scouting every weekend to get the lay of the land (spent 6 hours today getting stuck and unstuck in the big belt). I know a lot of it it is right place right time with bear, but with my hunts limited to weekends, I am trying to put myself in the right area. I was amazed to find fresh cut black bear tracks today in very deep snow. Hopefully we get an early spring and the bruins are moving in April.
Not sure where you live, but if you're too far for casual weekend scouting then I'd look into the NRCS SNOTEL sites...there are a lot of them in NW Montana at mid- to high-elevations, and they collect daily temperature, snow depth, and other stuff...it can be helpful in determining what elevation band to start at if you're coming in cold.

There are a lot of bear in Region 1. You'll have a good time.

With current snowpack around here, I wouldn't get too excited until the beginning of May.

You and me both. :) Historically, I don't see much activity until May. April is good for getting hikes in and picking up ticks but for serious opportunity it seems like the 5th -15th is peak.

Im heading to that area may 10th as well for my first bear hunt. Let us know how you do and any tips or tricks you learn.

Im heading to that area may 10th as well for my first bear hunt. Let us know how you do and any tips or tricks you learn.
Will do! I went and got a lay of the land this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Almost no snow and was able to find a couple fresh tracks.

Reactions: LCH
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back