Montana rules

Camping is allowed on State Trust Lands: http://dnrc.mt.gov/divisions/trust/recreational-use-of-state-land/rec-use-forms-and-permits/recreational-use-guide#:~:text=Overnight use (camping) on leased,days within a calendar year.

Essentially you have 48 hours to camp in one spot and it must be 200 feet from an accessible road or entry point. 14 days camping aggregate for Trust lands.
Thanks I stand corrected. But what is a "customary access point" if you are hiking in to a piece of state trust land?

Thanks I stand corrected. But what is a "customary access point" if you are hiking in to a piece of state trust land?

The old rule was within 200 feet of where you can pull onto the land (2 tracks, open fence corners, etc). Not sure now. The law was changed a few years ago so I think everyone's still unsure of what it all means.

oofta. Regardless of the evidence of sex, these are the ones I see broke most often.

Some of the two track roads don't have an obvious "road closed" sign when they close on the specified date. It's up to you to check the open and closed dates online. Usually the way this goes for me, is I park off the two track road close to the little post that says the road is closed. I know about the time I get back in there, someone is going to drive by, and they do, and then I get angry.

The other one is transporting brain and spinal matter out of state. You have to boil it, or leave it at the kill site. It's a "law" that's very poorly explained the reasoning of, and not very stricly enforced, but I assume it's not something you want to face. My own opinion is the safest place the brain and spinal matter can be disposed of is in a proper container to be buried at a city landfill but that's not the way it's thought of by those that make and enforce the laws so....that's that.

If you’re hunting public you really don’t need to know the laws. FWP spends all of their time policing private property so that not one blade of private grass is trampled by a peasant hunter. Public lands are a free for all of just about every violation you can imagine.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back