Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Rifle Co. is shut down

GlockZ

Just saw on the internet on G&A's website that MRC has ceased operation. This is sad news, while I've never owned a rifle built by them, a know a few people that do, and they are really nice rifles. Hopefully they'll be able to restructure and come back into operation.

I have one. my shoots great. A bit fussy of a feeder but federals go in like grease. Safety is stiff and hard to operate. its a pound heavier that I would like. Lots of unhappy buyers due to QC and then problems getting things that should have never left the factory fixed timely and fixed first time back. Seemed to be a lot of issues.
They recently sold to a new outfit but they couldnt make a go of it. Nice thing with them was you coukd order a few mods from the factory like shortened barrels or triggers and they had a heck of a selection of left hand rifles. Too bad but when guys are laying out
$1300-1400 a copy they need to right out of the box.

I don't own one but the internet is full of enough bad reviews about customer service, delayed production, poor workmanship that I'm surprised this didn't happen 10 years ago

Last edited:
I have owned a couple and still have an X3 in .300 WSM. The rifles themselves have been great but they were by far the worst company I've ever had to deal with in terms of customer service. I won't waste the time of going into details, but bottom line is it took about 4 months of constant calls from both me and my dealer to get resolution for my problem, which MRC 100% created. My dealer, who was a pretty big dealer for them finally dropped them right before they closed due to all the problems they had.

Not going to lie, when I opened this thread I was expecting they were just closing for a short time due to the virus. Now reading the comments I understand why they are closing for restructuring.

I wondering if pressure to produce more rifles allowed qa/qc to fall by the weigh side. Wouldn't be the first, wouldn't be the last

I think most of their issues stemmed from customer service. Generally speaking they put out a pretty decent rifle, but when they didn't they were slow to fix the problems. This has been my first hand experience with them, plus is pretty much echoed by my dealer and there are an unusual number of threads about it. I pointed out one of the threads to one of their top guys after I finally got my situation resolved and he read through it while I was on the phone with him. It didn't seem like they had a clue what kind of reputation they were getting from not taking care of their customers.

I was going to start a thread asking about these guys as Sportsman's Warehouse has some really good deals. I love the look of the ASR and they come glass bedded. And similar to @elkmagnet I woke up this morning craving a new gun. 243, unless someone can change my mind.

Anyone have anything else to add?

I had two bad experiences with them when I was a gunsmith at Ballard Rifle and Cartridge in 2007. The rifle ended up turning out pretty nice, chambered in 7mm-08, before it was cool! This doesn’t surprise me at all.

I was going to start a thread asking about these guys as Sportsman's Warehouse has some really good deals. I love the look of the ASR and they come glass bedded. And similar to @elkmagnet I woke up this morning craving a new gun. 243, unless someone can change my mind.

You made me look at the Sportsman’s website. I am glad that the only left hand models they are showing as available are in blued steel. The ASR in 338 WM is still tempting.

I have a NIB browning X-bolt hells canyon speed in .243 in the for sale section. Never been outta the box. $150 off new price. Thought I’d throw it out there.

Sportsman's Kennewick has an X3 in 28 Nosler

I worked with Sipe at the aluminum plant. Great guy. I heard things had been going downhill. Some transplant from back east was in charge of customer service and a total twit by all accounts. A lot of horror stories on the net. Too bad.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back