Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana ram harvest analysis for fun/conversation

Anyone have the data for the Montana B&C entries by year? Guides will say that the Breaks are going downhill as far as big rams go, I was wondering if the data supports that.

The age data in FWP harvest reports for sheep specifically is not always accurate. I don't believe this is intentional and there are several biologists that are very good at aging sheep, but there are many that are inexperienced. Without a doubt, some sheep can be hard to age by anyone, especially sheep that spend a lot of time in the timber and with age can be caked in sap or their rings smoothed out. I can recall one ram specifically that was harvested in the Beartooth that was clearly 11-12 and aged at 7 by someone in Billings. I suspect the measurements can differ as well depending on who collects the data. Not a bash on the FWP but something to keep in mind when you see outliers on the harvest reports.

Last edited:
Anyone have the data for the Montana B&C entries by year? Guides will say that the Breaks are going downhill as far as big rams go, I was wondering if the data supports that.

I don't know if they're going "downhill" per say but it does seem like some of the larger rams in the 190s and higher are becoming tougher to find.Coming from some people that have hunted hard for the past 5 or 6 seasons.

The continuous spotlight on the Breaks isn't helping the situation IMO and I don't think that 25 tags in 680 or 20 in 482 does either.... there is always 621.

The "Breaks Shit Show" in itself is enough to detour myself or anyone in my camp to put in elsewhere.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back