Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana public land B&C mule deer

At the mule deer symposium in Bozeman a few years ago, the MOGA sponsored event provided interesting and well researched information provided by wildlife biologists, ranchers, and others who had knowledge, experience, and successes. The presentation focused on employment of data, science, and good mule deer wildlife management in producing mature mule deer bucks, with the goal of maintaining trophy or near-trophy quality mule deer hunting. With no way of following up on the results of that symposium or the implementation in Montana, Utah, or elsewhere, I don't know if more trophy quality mule deer are on the big ranches, but it would seem to be the goal of some of the attendees of that symposium ... and likely the goal of MOGA as well.

Do you think it’s an issue of shooting them before they reach their potential these days? Or maybe something else? Seems like one would slip through the cracks every now and then.
Praise the Lord somebody thinks it’s at least possible….

You have to wonder as long range hunting continually develops how will this impact of ability of a buck to mature in comparison years ago when they were somewhat safe at 300?
I think it will have some effect but not any more than all the other electronic advancements. I know I started working on improving my effective range because of how rare the opportunities are at mature bucks and want to have the ability under the right circumstances to take the shot on the kind of buck I may see once a decade on land I can hunt.

I can tell you from living 15 years near the Canadian border, it’s not the genetics and it’s not the quality of forage. It’s almost 100% due to bucks not getting enough age. If bucks could even get to 4 years old somewhat regularly, it would be a huge improvement, let alone 5+.

Local fwp wildlife managers in eastern Montana say the age structure is excellent. Good mix of older age class bucks in with the herd. Numbers overall are great. Better than limited entry Utah units overall. Are the older bucks just scuz heads that nobody will shoot? I’ve seen the decline in numbers of deer and quality so I have a hard time believing what they are peddling.

I think it will have some effect but not any more than all the other electronic advancements. I know I started working on improving my effective range because of how rare the opportunities are at mature bucks and want to have the ability under the right circumstances to take the shot on the kind of buck I may see once a decade on land I can hunt.

I can tell you from living 15 years near the Canadian border, it’s not the genetics and it’s not the quality of forage. It’s almost 100% due to bucks not getting enough age. If bucks could even get to 4 years old somewhat regularly, it would be a huge improvement, let alone 5+.
I wonder what would happen if they actually did manage the herd and
changed from brown it’s down to putting some age on the herd?
i know our herds are better not having a season during the rut , and having antler restrictions on Young bucks

I wonder what would happen if they actually did manage the herd and
changed from brown it’s down to putting some age on the herd?
i know our herds are better not having a season during the rut , and having antler restrictions on Young bucks
Antler restrictions wouldn’t really help. No one would be shooting 3 points anymore. I think you can still make changes that allow everyone adequate opportunity while improving age class by reducing season length, changing the timing of it, and adding LE units as needed.

IIRC, Valerius Geist had misgivings about the general season taking of larger bucks. As mentioned often in the above it takes a number of years to grow a large buck mule deer. A deer herd can supply quite a few two points, certainly many more than deer 5+ years old.

I'd like to see them try a new strategy of allowing two point bucks taken on a general tag, but a larger buck would be by permit only.

I doubt the hunting public will ever get on board, everyone holds onto the hope they will see a big buck, then settling for a buck that might have been one in a couple of years. I carry a tag in my pocket, just in case, but it has been a long time since I have killed a mule deer. I was tempted maybe five years ago, but while he was as nice as any I'd seen in years, he did not really have enough mass to make him pop in my eyes.

It really won't change until Montanans accept the fact that the human population has grown far beyond the days of yore. I mentioned this sort of season structure to a young man at the gym. He wasn't having it. I'm sure in his mind, he was killing bucks that satisfied him.

This buck was shot 2 years ago. Scored at 193, net at 188. He didn't have any nuts and didn't rub off his velvet. Lived mostly on private. Made a mistake and came to visit public.

It was not entered in the books.Screenshot_20220910-151412_Gallery.jpg

This buck was shot 2 years ago. Scored at 193, net at 188. He didn't have any nuts and didn't rub off his velvet. Lived mostly on private. Made a mistake and came to visit public.

It was not entered in the books.View attachment 238789
Got the signed scoresheet for that one? I'd love to see those 188 inches in pen because I'm not seeing it in photo

Got the signed scoresheet for that one? I'd love to see those 188 inches in pen because I'm not seeing it in photo
I guessed it at 175 or so. I was fooled. I'm sure the score sheet was tossed in the garbage. If make it over to his house, ill measure it myself.

I guessed it at 175 or so. I was fooled. I'm sure the score sheet was tossed in the garbage. If make it over to his house, ill measure it myself.
If he didn't enter it into the books, why would he strip that cool velvet buck just to score it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back