Montana preference points

The max preference points you can get is 2. Can have 3 going into the draw if you buy one the year you are applying. Explained here

Yup I saw some dude on here a while back talk about how he has 3 and will be going next year .... if he has 3 now he’s SOL and will be going into next years draw with 0 , well 1 if he buys at time of app . The 3rd year you either have to use it or it’s gone

Yup I saw some dude on here a while back talk about how he has 3 and will be going next year .... if he has 3 now he’s SOL and will be going into next years draw with 0 , well 1 if he buys at time of app . The 3rd year you either have to use it or it’s gone
So to get 3 plus points you must apply for a tag + buy a point to maintain/ gain more

So to get 3 plus points you must apply for a tag + buy a point to maintain/ gain more
There’s no 3plus points .... most you can accumulate pref points Is 3 years . I have 1 now - if I buy a point next year and decide not to apply or get denied a NR combination tag then I’ll have 2 , so In 2023 I will have 3 once I buy one at time of app but I have to apply . There’s no 3plus . 3 is max

Purchasing Preference Points
Preference points for a nonresident big game, elk or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:
at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or
between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.
You can only purchase without applying for the combination license for 2 consecutive years. If you skip 3 years of applying for the combination license, all preference points are zeroed.
Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing.

There’s no 3plus points .... most you can accumulate pref points Is 3 years . I have 1 now - if I buy a point next year and decide not to apply or get denied a NR combination tag then I’ll have 2 , so In 2023 I will have 3 once I buy one at time of app but I have to apply . There’s no 3plus . 3 is max

What if next year you applied and didn’t draw? Then in 2023 you only bought a point which you could do after the draw since you did not apply. In 2024 could you then purchase the point when you apply thus having 4 in theory?

The regulations state you can only purchase points and not apply for 2 conservative years.

What if next year you applied and didn’t draw? Then in 2023 you only bought a point which you could do after the draw since you did not apply. In 2024 could you then purchase the point when you apply thus having 4 in theory?

The regulations state you can only purchase points and not apply for 2 conservative years.
No I’d have to not buy a point in 23 . 3rd year you have to apply . Or you lose them . So I’d have to skip buying one in 23 and then buy my 3rd at time of app in 24’

No I’d have to not buy a point in 23 . 3rd year you have to apply . Or you lose them . So I’d have to skip buying one in 23 and then buy my 3rd at time of app in 24’
Gotcha. I forgot about every 3rd year you have to apply.

It’s gonna get really interesting now that guys going with outfitters can buy 2 a year . Not sure exactly how it’s gonna work . There’ll be guys (hopefully not me) that have 2 pp that won’t get drawn is my prediction.

Ok. So let's say I'm applying for a good archery elk area and don't draw with 3 will I maintain 3 till I draw or what happened a then

Ok. So let's say I'm applying for a good archery elk area and don't draw with 3 will I maintain 3 till I draw or what happened a then
You might be confusing preference points with bonus points. Good archery elk area (permit) would be bonus points, getting the general license to start with would be preference points. You can get more than 3 bonus points just not preference points. As of recently 3 preference points has been a guaranteed draw so you either don't apply with 3 and lose your points or you apply and get drawn. Not sure but I think if it gets to where 3 preference points doesn't guarantee a draw that you would go back to 0, but as I said not sure with rerereading the regs.

Last edited:
So I bought a preference point last year (2020). My first. I have not bought one yet this year (2021). I know I can't go hunt next year. If I don't buy one this year but Buy one preference point next year (2022, which would give me two points). Does that mean I can apply in 2023 with two points (or buy a third that year with app)? I am confused as to whether the one I bought in 2020 has a three year expiration date (expire in 2022). Or does having two points trigger the expiration date thing, if that makes sense.

So I bought a preference point last year (2020). My first. I have not bought one yet this year (2021). I know I can't go hunt next year. If I don't buy one this year but Buy one preference point next year (2022, which would give me two points). Does that mean I can apply in 2023 with two points (or buy a third that year with app)? I am confused as to whether the one I bought in 2020 has a three year expiration date (expire in 2022). Or does having two points trigger the expiration date thing, if that makes sense.
If you don't apply for 2 years (21 and 22) you have to apply the 3rd year, 2023, or lose your points. What I read is that it's based on years of not applying rather than number of points.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back