Montana preference points

So I bought a preference point last year (2020). My first. I have not bought one yet this year (2021). I know I can't go hunt next year. If I don't buy one this year but Buy one preference point next year (2022, which would give me two points). Does that mean I can apply in 2023 with two points (or buy a third that year with app)? I am confused as to whether the one I bought in 2020 has a three year expiration date (expire in 2022). Or does having two points trigger the expiration date thing, if that makes sense.

It’s my understanding that you would have to apply in 2022 regardless if you buy a point this year or you lose whatever points you have.

Last edited:
It’s really not that complicated .... if people understood that pref points and bonus points are completely different that would help ....
im sorry I had to ask my question. I read as much as possible and even watched the video. I’m just not a smart person. So the preference point I bought in 2020 will expire if I don’t apply for combo lisc in 2022 regardless if I buy a 2021 point? I want to hunt in 2023 and trying to figure it out. Again I apologize for asking such a question.

Last edited:
It’s really not that complicated .... if people understood that pref points and bonus points are completely different that would help ....
im sorry I had to ask my question. I read as much as possible and even watched the video. I’m just not a smart person. So the preference point I bought in 2020 will expire if I don’t apply for combo list in 2022 regardless if I buy a 2021 point? I want to hunt in 2023 and trying to figure it out. Again I apologize for asking such a question.
Don't be down on yourself. FWP has supposedly had 40k phone calls asking some variant of your question, so you're not the only one struggling.

The best thing for you to do would probably be to email FWP with your question and get your answers straight from the source.

im sorry I had to ask my question. I read as much as possible and even watched the video. I’m just not a smart person. So the preference point I bought in 2020 will expire if I don’t apply for combo lisc in 2022 regardless if I buy a 2021 point? I want to hunt in 2023 and trying to figure it out. Again I apologize for asking such a question.
Way I see/understand it - you could buy one now and skip 2022 , then buy one at time of app in 23’ and have 3 pp’s.

Preference points can be purchased:

• at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or
  • between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.
You can only purchase without applying for the combination license for 2 consecutive years.

If you skip 3 years of applying for the combination license, all preference points are zeroed.

Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing.

Buying a point starts a 3 year time clock. By my count you're going to look like this:

2020- point
2021- point
2022- point
RESET TO ZERO
2023- 1 point can be purchased at time of application

The quote directly from the law:

"The department shall delete an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license for 3 consecutive years."

You're better off saving your money and not getting any more points including in 2023. You'll likely have better odds with zero points than you will with one point as 25% of licenses are reserved for 0 point holders

Last edited:
Buying a point starts a 3 year time clock.
Technically wrong, not applying for the general license starts a time clock, so assuming first point was bought 2020 after application period, the first year of not applying would be 2021, second year no app 2022, if no application in 2023 then reset to 0.

Technically wrong, not applying for the general license starts a time clock, so assuming first point was bought 2020 after application period, the first year of not applying would be 2021, second year no app 2022, if no application in 2023 then reset to 0.
I believe it runs off license year and buying a point in the 2020 license year starts the clock.

2020 would be the first year of "not applying".

Only way it goes beyond 3 years is of someone were to apply unsuccessfully during the 3 year time period. That would reset the clock and that would keep their points as is until they draw or go 3 years consecutively without applying for a license.

Last edited:
2020 would be the first year of "not applying".
He either bought the point in 2020 at the time of application, in which case he applied in 2020, or bought it after the application period in which case 2021 would be first year of not applying is how I read it.

Need the FWP answer to be sure.

@kwyeewyk @8andcounting @Hankg

I just got off the phone with FWP. The year you purchase the first point starts the 3 year clock. In the case of @Hankg if he purchased a point without applying in 2020 his points will reset to zero after the 2022 season if he does not apply for a license by then.

Also just leaned that starting in 2022, NR's will lose ALL points if they do not apply in consecutive years. No more gaps in applications allowed. Don't apply = back to zero. It was a part of HB 637 that I must have totally missed.
Edit: If you look up HB 637 its on page 9. Also points are $100 now

I just got off the phone with FWP. The year you purchase the first point starts the 3 year clock. In the case of @Hankg if he purchased a point without applying in 2020 his points will reset to zero after the 2022 season if he does not apply for a license by then.

Also just leaned that starting in 2022, NR's will lose ALL points if they do not apply in consecutive years. No more gaps in applications allowed. Don't apply = back to zero. It was a part of HB 637 that I must have totally missed.
Great - the bg combo will be over 1200$ now with a point

Good to know, thanks for taking the time to ask them.

I think there's a lot of poorly worded parts to the regs, but doubt they'll fix that, just lump HDs to make things "simpler."

Thanks for figuring it out. Looks like since I can’t go until at least 2023 no reason to buy a point this year or next. 2020 point money was a donation. Thanks!!

Thanks for figuring it out. Looks like since I can’t go until at least 2023 no reason to buy a point this year or next. 2020 point money was a donation. Thanks!!
No , thank you on less guy To compete with ... lol jk

Montana is an “opportunity” state. FWP will take all the money it can get until the fleeced demand some substance to what FWP and the legislature calls “opportunity” and charges a premium for.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back