Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Preference Point Expiration MT HB637

You were given 100% WRONG info. You need to apply I have called 3 different times and gotten the same answer. You need to apply for a tag. But by all means just buy the point less in the pool competing for tags 😀

Also this makes it pretty clear that you need to apply for the combination. View attachment 216210
Thank you, I am just stating verbatim what I was told. You are obviously correct though...Thanks for the info

So I guess if I am sitting on a MT PP now and don't apply this year (which will be the second consecutive year of not applying), I will lose that point.
Nevertheless, I can buy another point during the PP only period this summer. Therefore, if I decide to hunt MT next year, I will have the new PP purchased this year, plus the one purchased when applying next year, for a total of 2 PP's. Do I have this right?

I just want to make sure I won't also lose the new PP I'd be buying later this year.

So I guess if I am sitting on a MT PP now and don't apply this year (which will be the second consecutive year of not applying), I will lose that point.
Nevertheless, I can buy another point during the PP only period this summer. Therefore, if I decide to hunt MT next year, I will have the new PP purchased this year, plus the one purchased when applying next year, for a total of 2 PP's. Do I have this right?

I just want to make sure I won't also lose the new PP I'd be buying later this year.
Yeh you should be correct but just remember the pref points went from $50 up to $100 each

Im a NR been doing dyi and a few outfitted hunts this stuff has me thinking keep dyi in otc state and outfitter with allocated tags every few yrs just to avoid the headache
I guess the time when you could get a few points in a few different states while going otc without costing a mint is gone for good every yr they make is harder n harder

It’s having the desired effect. If you read the other MT threads, you’d know we have herd issues. People there are like “shorten seasons, ban non-resident, end shoulder seasons”

Just based on the number of people saying “I won’t be back” in this thread, yeah, I think it’s working.

Burning our PP points this year. Making the most of the wonderful MT vacation and are planning on spending plenty of money on gas and "stuff" while in Montana during a DIY hunt.

Until they fix the rodeo of split point pools and outfitter welfare MT wont be getting license dollars from me

While I don't disagree with you about it being a rodeo. Going by your username assume you are from WY, how is MT's split pool (25% to 0pp) any different than WY putting 25% of their tags into the random draw? Also the wilderness outfitter law in WY could be argued is almost bigger outfitter welfare as there are a handful of units you can't hunt as NR without an outfitter or local?

Again not disagreeing with you, just sort of "pot calling the kettle black" if you are a Wyoming resident.

Also bigger question, why as a R of Wyomisng would you want to hunt any other place for elk or deer? You guys have your sh*t together.

While I don't disagree with you about it being a rodeo. Going by your username assume you are from WY, how is MT's split pool (25% to 0pp) any different than WY putting 25% of their tags into the random draw? Also the wilderness outfitter law in WY could be argued is almost bigger outfitter welfare as there are a handful of units you can't hunt as NR without an outfitter or local?

Again not disagreeing with you, just sort of "pot calling the kettle black" if you are a Wyoming resident.

Also bigger question, why as a R of Wyomisng would you want to hunt any other place for elk or deer? You guys have your sh*t together.
Nah I respect your opinion as well. I started putting in for MT as my "vacation" fund type money. The pp cost increase doesn't make it worth it for me. I have in the past couple years been able to hunt on my buddy's family's place up there. Now instead of hunting with my MT resident buddy every year / two years it will be three now. Those have me sour, I have more than enough opportunity to the south to fund that. I have some antelope points I'll draw in the next year or two but until the elk / deer is fixed no reason to spend $200 for the next three years for arguably better hunting to the south.

I would argue that the Wilderness Law in Wyoming benefits all residents just as much as outfitters. I know non-residents hate it, as a life long resident I have no issue with it. The MT law is obviously directed to benefit only the outfitters in that state. The entire PP + BP system drives me insane, seems like an extra dollar grab to me. If they put a general / limited quota system in like Wyoming has I'd have no issues.

Hope you drew some tags from out in cheese curd land this year!

If a person has 2 preferences points and they don't want to draw couldn't they apply as a party with someone with 0 points to avoid losing points from not applying?

If a person has 2 preferences points and they don't want to draw couldn't they apply as a party with someone with 0 points to avoid losing points from not applying?
You could except you run a pretty high likelihood of getting a returned tag with 2pts and thus be the only one in your party with a tag and using your points anyway.

You could except you run a pretty high likelihood of getting a returned tag with 2pts and thus be the only one in your party with a tag and using your points anyway.
This will be my f’n luck …… won’t draw desired LE permit for which I have lots of bonus points , thus will lose my pp’s cuz I drew the bg combo , OR won’t draw the combo with 2 pp , thus won’t even be entered in the LE draw for the 3rd time in 4 years , then to top it off will probably be “awarded” someone’s returned tag and Lose my pp’s … great system

WIbiggame , you know more than me on this . Scenario, my wife has 1 pp . I bought it last summer . We don’t want her getting a tag this year but also don’t wanna lose the point . If I apply for a deer combo for her and do not buy a point , so she will go in with 1 and most likely won’t draw , will she keep the 1 pp then ? Since she did apply …?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back