Montana opener 5 days away

8andcounting

Who's excited ? Let's hear some plans , stories of past hunts and just some excitement !

New water pump & vent cover for the Redneck Riviera - check
New tires for the Dodge - check
Load stabilizers for truck camper - check
Checklists for gear - check
Checklists for food - check
Checklists for checklists - check
BMA reservation - Check
Maps & plan that will get thrown out the window after the first day - check
10 days of vacation scheduled and prepared for - check & almost check.

Leaving Friday to chase some deer, then off to the elk grounds. Should get a solid 4-5 days for each critter. Nice way to start the season!! Still have to figure out the best way to attach the game cart to the camper, but other than that, I'm good to go.

Saturday through Tuesday I will be hunting. I am visualizing killing an elk in that time, and then spending the rest of the season chasing a mule deer. It is worth noting that my hunting plans rarely pan out.

I plan on spending Saturday and Sunday far from the road and in the timber, away from the pumpkin army and hopefully where the elk lower down will be headed by 8:00 am Saturday morning.

Good luck to all!

Take a few kids hunting and spend Thanksgiving helping my son fill his elk tag. Will spend most of my free time trying to locate a big bull for him.
Probably send way too much time dealing with unethical hunter. Not looking forward to that one bit.

have 3 youth hunters lined up for Thursday and Friday, then would like to go to harlowtown and look for an elk for myself,,,,

I plan on hiding from the orange army. My birthday conveniently lands on/near opener so I use that as an excuse to hide. Might check out the duck hunting somewhere.

Both my kids have either sex elk tag for HD 410. So we are going to go join the orange army opening weekend with plans to get as far away from any roads as we can. Neither one has ever shot a bull elk, so they are pretty excited.

I'll be in Billings for the weekend... I'll have to wait till the second weekend to start looking for my deer. Have a buddy coming back up from his job in California so I hope he has luck! Also hope my dad fills his moose tag before the orange army shows up.

Me and my nine year old son are heading down to Region 3 for his first elk hunting trip with me. He has been on several successful deer/turkey hunts, but this is a big step. Planning to fish the river on Friday and get camp set-up. We are going to hike into a high saddle about 1.7 miles from the 4WD road and hopefully catch something moving through. Going to set up by a lower saddle next to a big park for the evening hunt. He has been hiking lots this summer, so he is in better shape than me probably. Going to play football and maybe shoot some small game in the mid day. Going to stay until Monday and if we don't do any good going to head back down alone on Wednesday through Saturday. Stay safe and good luck guys.

I don't get too excited for deer until after the 10th let them get good and stupid

I become a Montana resident on October 28th first days i get to hunt are the first and second.. I am excited but that excitement is tempered by stories of animals running for private ground after the first gun shots and ATV's running all over the place

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back