Caribou Gear

Montana November velvet bucks

Jdan9

What’s going on in Montana? We just returned from our annual mule deer hunt and a couple of the bucks we took were either still in velvet or in the process of shedding it. Has anybody else run into this or have an explanation?
JD

I shot a buck this year that still had his velvet, only part that was rubbed off was at his bases.

I’ve been told it can be caused by ehd. It makes the bucks supposedly not shed velvet. Not sure if it sterilizes them or if they will rut like a normal deer.

The boy and I just got back from Montana,and we saw numerous small bucks in velvet. I didn’t understand it and I didn’t realize it was going on everywhere.

This bull showed up for the first time late October and is still in velvet. His right antler is just a club that hangs down over his eye. If he shows up next year he will be my target bull for the season. I love the freaks since they are so unique and rare.1603414972964.jpg

It is crazy. I've remarked about it a few times. I figured it was something like EHD, but wasn't sure.

We also killed a couple velvet bucks in our group this year as well. First time I have ever experienced that in mid November.

View attachment 163380View attachment 163381

Seriously, is this an EHD symptom or is this the 'Rona?
Might have something to do with the historically dry summer or maybe the ticks this spring and summer. They were everywhere and thicker than ever.

A Wildlife Manager here in Colorado showed me a buck in partial velvet with soft antlers a couple weeks ago. He said it was EHD. Any wildlife biologists or people with actual knowledge care to weigh in?

Yes, EHD can affect the blood supply and alter the normal pattern of velvet shedding. It can also damage the vessels that supply blood necessary for antler growth, and the resulting damage to that tissue can lead to abnormal antler growth in subsequent years. EHD was reported across eastern Montana this year, so could certainly have contributed to the large number of velvet bucks. We will probably also see bucks shedding their antlers much earlier this year as well.

The buck I killed had some velvet left at the tips of his tines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back