Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana mule deer rant

I'm a bit late to this thread. Is the quality like it used to be? No way, however, I do know a guy who shot a mule deer buck last year that was in the high 190's/ maybe 200" on PUBLICLY accessible public land. So there are still good bucks out there if you work for them and also have a good amount of luck on your side.
Wrong place bro I already tried… 🤣

Right off interwebs.. sure some may be private but all good bucks.. they’re not Sasquatch. And they do come into public
I think zero of those bucks are the caliber of buck these guys are talking about.

Lord knows I am not a picky hunter by any stretch, but even I don’t think any of those are “big”.

A few years back @Greenhorn predicted what social media influencer posts about killing big deer in Montana would look like:

Have you seen it? Could it be legit? Ha.

Right off interwebs.. sure some may be private but all good bucks.. they’re not Sasquatch. And they do come into public
I’m seriously curious how you support your perspective.

When did you start hunting in Montana?
How much have you hunted it?
Have you ever hunted mule deer in any other state, particularly Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah or Arizona?

All 3 of those mule deer are little

Around 2013, even though it was already in serious decline, I would pass dozens of deer like that in a season. Lucky to find one now.
I killed the only 4x4 mule deer I saw on public land all season this year on September 6. It was a great day of hunting and I was pumped even though my smallest mule deer ever. I thought for a brief moment “you might regret this later”. But I never did.

Limit tags or none of it works. Washington and Oregon never limited tags and run general seasons in October that are all dog sh*t. Was probably decent about a few million residents ago but now we have laser rangefinders with ballistic programs, 6.5 Woundmores, PRCs, RUMs and Ultra Mags that shoot a mile and Arctic Cats to chase down anything we see. Long story short, we've got better tools for killing. Plus I can take Mtn Ops and hunt all day comfortably in my Kuiu kit to keep my temps regulated.

Killing deer in October with a rifle is not hard. It's just not as easy as having one try to dry hump your suppressor in November. No control over the number of tags = no control over the number of tags filled. Graph it and pivot table it all you want but it's pretty simple even for a below average public school student.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back