Montana mule deer rant

Is that a good idea? mtmuley

If there are private land doe tags I don’t think fwp telling a landowner that puts their land into BMA that they can’t have does harvest off their private land is the best idea. Some put their land into BMA because they don’t want the deer eating their hay.

If there are private land doe tags I don’t think fwp telling a landowner that puts their land into BMA that they can’t have does harvest off their private land is the best idea. Some put their land into BMA because they don’t want the deer eating their hay.
Yep. I understand. Maybe private land doe tags would work better than region wide. There are tags like that where I am and they are needed.. mtmuley

Dear Santa:

I know I haven't been the greatest boy this year, but if you could please tell the Montana FWP to actually do something productive in protecting valuable resource of wildlife in our great state and bring it back to what it could possibly be that would be terrific. Please tell them to quit managing for the private land owner/outfitter/and the money man and give the public land adventurer a better opportunity to get out and enjoy what we could potentially have in this great state. Its up to you Big Man, they don't listen to us. This includes all Elk, Mule Deer, WT Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Shiras Moose, Mountain Goats, Mt. Lion, Black Bear, Woof, The Pronghorn, American Bison and anyone else that may need help.

Thanks, I promise I'll be better in 23.

Jonas

Yep. I understand. Maybe private land doe tags would work better than region wide. There are tags like that where I am and they are needed.. mtmuley
We should be managing deer numbers by districts vs regions. Region 7 is like 250 miles from corner to corner yet we are managing the same at each corner when each corner has different needs

I know of one particular bma that is getting destroyed by does. The numbers are staggering. And there is nothing the rancher can do.

Part of the discussion is what we would like to see tried, and another is what do you think is really attainable? I've said before that things could get way worse, and most Montanans will just roll around in their own tears blaming the wolves, but if we were to keep it simple and keep it as realistic as possible, I wonder if simply, we gotta stop rut hunting. A deer season that ends in early November or at the end of October. I know it has been done in certain chunks of MT with limited success, but part of that was due to the fact that those areas drew folks in focusing on deer in those areas. We can do a many different things such as limiting hunters and take via permits, but I think those will be far harder sells to the citizens of Montana, than limiting rut hunting statewide - just let some of those deer get through November. The "opportunity" to chase them would still be there, they just wouldnt be as stupid. I would be an advocate of creating more permit areas too. It's funny how so few Montanans want them but the few that do exist are popular as hell.

I write this, having just watched throught the binos out my kitchen window a beautiful whitetail - I bet 4.5 years old, stand on the side of Corbin Road, while half a dozen trucks coming out of the mountains west of me, stopped and thought about it. To my surprise no one gunned him down - off a county road on mine property they do not have permission on - as folks have done in the past and gotten nailed for. But the rut reduces even the cagiest fellows into mush.

Curious if this administration, with their recent questionnaire regarding mule deer, has the stomach for big changes. I think so many deer are hitting the deck this year, with weather and hunter numbers, that we are on the edge of a cliff.

Curious if this administration, with their recent questionnaire regarding mule deer, has the stomach for big changes. I think so many deer are hitting the deck this year, with weather and hunter numbers, that we are on the edge of a cliff.

That questionnaire needed to go out at the end of season. Most forgot what last year was like and had no idea how bad this year was going to be.

In a couple years they will admit the population is awful and cut doe tags. “A” tags will be buck only for a couple years, and they will claim a remarkable comeback. “look at the 10 year average!! We have the deer”. It will go back to business as usual and the bar will be set even lower just waiting for the next drought or bad winter. I’ve seen it before.

In a couple years they will admit the population is awful and cut doe tags. “A” tags will be buck only for a couple years, and they will claim a remarkable comeback. “look at the 10 year average!! We have the deer”. It will go back to business as usual and the bar will be set even lower just waiting for the next drought or bad winter. I’ve seen it before.
I feel like we’ve done this before. 10 years ago?
840171A6-DED6-471E-BD00-BDF451F35527.gif

Dear Santa:

I know I haven't been the greatest boy this year, but if you could please tell the Montana FWP to actually do something productive in protecting valuable resource of wildlife in our great state and bring it back to what it could possibly be that would be terrific. Please tell them to quit managing for the private land owner/outfitter/and the money man and give the public land adventurer a better opportunity to get out and enjoy what we could potentially have in this great state. Its up to you Big Man, they don't listen to us. This includes all Elk, Mule Deer, WT Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Shiras Moose, Mountain Goats, Mt. Lion, Black Bear, Woof, The Pronghorn, American Bison and anyone else that may need help.

Thanks, I promise I'll be better in 23.

Jonas
And please let the 9ers make the playoffs. mtmuley

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back