Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

This is a disaster. One of the top reasons that landowner restrict hunting on their property is they are not about to let their property become the S--t show that has evolved on public land. Giving out two tags is only going to help.
I saw this in the purposal first thing this morning if they are dead set on a cwd season like that it should be switched to the A tag and make people apply for it may help get some draw pressure off other areas and still get the deer killed they apparently want to die

This is a disaster. One of the top reasons that landowner restrict hunting on their property is they are not about to let their property become the S--t show that has evolved on public land. Giving out two tags is only going to help.
Step one of cwd management is they would get every single landowner on board to kill all of the deer. It’s been established the public will do it on accessible lands.

Step one of cwd management is they would get every single landowner on board to kill all of the deer.
Not going to happen. I predict if they go scorched earth to try to manage CWD they will lose access. Kind of self defeating when it comes to CWD. That access is not coming back if they reverse course.

I have saw a couple over 150 this year and 1 I think may have been mid 170 a true unicorn these days

Just curious if u guys have pics of these 150 bucks.

from saturday. both spend time on public, they just beat us thru the blm, ive been after a bigger one then these 2, he was around on antelope opener, but has disappered for now

Attachments

• 20231021_133834.jpg
    20231021_133834.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 62
  • 123_1(1).jpeg
    123_1(1).jpeg
    967.7 KB · Views: 62
in 12 years hunting the same area, we used to see a few hundred deer in a couple glassing places , per day, we always hunt from,

friday and saturday less then 30, driving at night when we would dodge 100 deer and carcases every 1/4 mile, i seen 11 deer one night , 6 were bucks, and only 3 carcases,

to say numbers are down , is a gross understatement,
public land mule deer in reg 7. are headed for the endangered species list,,,,

and hunter numbers were way down,,,,,

I saw this in the purposal first thing this morning if they are dead set on a cwd season like that it should be switched to the A tag and make people apply for it may help get some draw pressure off other areas and still get the deer killed they apparently want to die
In Saskatchewan where the prevalence rates are 80% they’re seeing a huge drop in participation due to CWD. Hunters don’t want to put in the time if their harvested animal is likely to be diseased, inedible, etc. If things get like that here, or perhaps even now where prevalence rates are 30% in some places I’d imagine people wouldn’t want to burn their A tag on a CWD deer. That’s probably why this is structured that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back