Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

I think with the western hunting craze and how every Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, etc hunting group is promoting it, even if the guys who are coming here now start giving up on MT, there’s a fresh crop to replace them. Aside from a recession or major economic downfall, all non res tags will be sold no matter what. To be clear, I’m only addressing the non resident issues here. There are resident issues we need to work on as well I’m fully aware of.

JP should shut his trap and come back to WA.
I see some of WA problems as different from MT. We have almost 8 mil people, fence-line to fence-line farming in the best mule deer habitat, and very little public land in the eastern half. The problems we share are drought, fire, and urban expansion. It is easy to see why hunters from WA go to eastern MT when public land is both easily accessible and doesn't require a 3000ft climb. It is the same reason MT sees WI, MI, and MN plates. MT FWP has to address the problem.

I see some of WA problems as different from MT. We have almost 8 mil people, fence-line to fence-line farming in the best mule deer habitat, and very little public land in the eastern half. The problems we share are drought, fire, and urban expansion. It is easy to see why hunters from WA go to eastern MT when public land is both easily accessible and doesn't require a 3000ft climb. It is the same reason MT sees WI, MI, and MN plates. MT FWP has to address the problem.
Yeah, WA hunting suck. MT hunting sucks compared to what it once was. That's the difference.

There were a lot more deer in the early 2000s. It’s not even close. I remember hunting a public land area that burned 4 or 5 years earlier in November back in 2003. Every north face had a group of 20 or more deer on it mid-day. Walk out on a south face. Glass north face. Rinse and repeat walking along. It was crazy. In a day and a half I bet I saw conservatively 300 deer. I would struggle to see 20 deer in that area now in a day and a half. It’s pretty sad where things are now. I don’t know what the official population numbers say. Frankly don’t care. (I don’t believe they are accurate) the last two years are definitely the lowest numbers I have seen in region 7 in my lifetime unquestionably.
I'd believe mule deer numbers are the worst in memory in parts of R7, specifically the southern portion. Northern R7 was worse post 2011 than it is now by a long ways, at least the places I frequent.

I was hunting Campbell County, WY this week with my sons for elk. Not far at all from MT Region 7. It’s amazing what happens when you refrain from pounding bucks in November. Saw more mature deer in three days hunting WY than I remember in all my years in MT. Just one guy’s recollection, of course. But still… Here’s one from a few days ago that let me get his picture.
IMG_2214.jpeg

View attachment 302881
I posted this on a different thread. But if this doesn’t raise some red flags I’m not sure what will. Nonresident regional caps need to enter the chat.

Something I saw as a response to these stats on social media is something like, “Those NR deer hunters support a lot of businesses or a lot of businesses depend on those hunters.”

It’s just another reason I think we should generally oppose any commercial endevours associated with wildlife we have control over (outfitting permits on public land, transferable tags, etc) and should rip the Band-Aid off now before the skin grows around it more. All of a sudden those hooks are in and will be economic arguments marshaled to resist any change that would serve the greater good.

Something I saw as a response to these stats on social media is something like, “Those NR deer hunters support a lot of businesses or a lot of businesses depend on those hunters.”

It’s just another reason I think we should generally oppose any commercial endevours associated with wildlife we have control over (outfitting permits on public land, transferable tags, etc) and should rip the Band-Aid off now before the skin grows around it more. All of a sudden those hooks are in and will be economic arguments marshaled to resist any change that would serve the greater good.
So true. There are areas in AK where NR shoot the majority of sheep every year. One unit hovers around 80%. Too much money in it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back