PEAX Equipment

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

25 deer tonight, 3 bucks. A double beamed 3x3 (that was cool), a ears wide 3x3 with 4-5" eyeguards, and a nice 4x4 with small eyeguards. The 4x4 was the nicest buck so far, outside his ears a couple inches (an inch or two each side) good back forks, not great front forks. I studied him a while before passing.

Friend shot a MT buck over the weekend. Looking at the antlers, light frame, barely a 4x3, no eye guards, and about 23” wide, I was guessing 3.5 years old. Then I was sent this picture asking if Matson’s can age one without lower incisors.
View attachment 301397

This has nothing to do with Montana mule deer management, rather once again confirming how faked out I can be at judging age of live and dead bucks based on antlers and frame.

I hope we can find a way for Matson’s to age this buck without lower incisors. He was taken on a heavily hunted area of public land.

Maybe he was always passed on because of his slight frame and that’s why he lived to this age on heavily hunted ground. Or, maybe he’s just that close to the end and it is all he could grow at this age. Either way, I suspect that the many rut cycles he went through he has plenty of offspring bouncing around.

Another reason I would be more interested in a management structure that aged dead bucks than a structure based on antler features/size/configuration of dead bucks. Seems that could be very revealing.
Pull the other incisors. Matsons can age off those also. You just mark them per the guidance Matson provides I1,I2,etc.

One of the crew just send me a photo of the teeth on a buck they took on Friday. Hardly anything for incisors or molars. Crazy that the thing could eat anything. Was soon going to need IV food with no teeth to browse or chew anything.

I’m not sure how it could be defended. Season structure could be changed and the same or similar opportunity could be provided. It’s criminal what we are doing to our mule deer herd.
Having only hunted mule deer since 2019 in this state. I can’t offer much in the way of firsthand knowledge about overall herd integrity and sustainability from a past perspective looking forward. What I can offer though is anecdotal accounts from veteran hunters who have been at it for 4 decades or more. The folks I’ve spoken with in the eastern units would all attest to what you’re saying here. In a nutshell, mismanagement abounds. It would seem only fair for FWP to honor their resident hunters perspectives if they want to correct the ship and get it back on course, or it seems the now norm will become the new norm.

My 2 pennies.

He was a stout 26” 3x3 with tall back ends that didn’t fork and no eye guards. I’d have shot him any day of the year in Montana. Again, a public area that gets pounded.

View attachment 301477
I would like to guess where that buck was shot but it seems my hunt talk activity has been limited. Especially DM’s.

Having only hunted mule deer since 2019 in this state. I can’t offer much in the way of firsthand knowledge about overall herd integrity and sustainability from a past perspective looking forward. What I can offer though is anecdotal accounts from veteran hunters who have been at it for 4 decades or more. The folks I’ve spoken with in the eastern units would all attest to what you’re saying here. In a nutshell, mismanagement abounds. It would seem only fair for FWP to honor their resident hunters perspectives if they want to correct the ship and get it back on course, or it seems the now norm will become the new norm.

My 2 pennies.
So instead of follow the data we are now at "follow the opinions of grizzled veterans who have been hunting the land for 4 decades or more"?
Look, I respect the opinions, but that path will cause a lot of problems. Rosy retrospection is real. Population are down, cut tags. Simple as that.

My 2 pennies.
You are correct @antlerradar has much more knowledge than me. I would lean on him heavily.

So instead of follow the data we are now at "follow the opinions of grizzled veterans who have been hunting the land for 4 decades or more"?
Look, I respect the opinions, but that path will cause a lot of problems. Rosy retrospection is real. Population are down, cut tags. Simple as that.
I’m not arguing that fact. It would be illogical to magically assume that in the face of increasing hunting pressure, herd size and quality should increase. Cutting tags is an appropriate measure in my opinion as well. At least for a time, then reassess.

I’m not arguing that fact. It would be illogical to magically assume that in the face of increasing hunting pressure, herd size and quality should increase. Cutting tags is an appropriate measure in my opinion as well. At least for a time, then reassess.
Agreed. Those are certainly variables in the equation that need to be considered. You just have to understand that they are getting pressure saying it is hard to kill a deer so extend the seasons or get rid of permits, etc. People are weird. They have varying opinions on pretty much everything. Listening to them makes the job harder. Data is different. I want a biologist to be able to retire and the new hire to step in and look at the same data trends and counts and say "I understand". The problem has been more of one where "political" influence has made biologist views less forthright. The data is the data. It doesn't have an opinion, but there are a lot of people that do. I just want clarity in the process and for it to be managed for the best interest of the resource and not for the public/private, R/NR, veteran/new resident hunter. I think we all come to the same place if we do that.

Agreed. Those are certainly variables in the equation that need to be considered. You just have to understand that they are getting pressure saying it is hard to kill a deer so extend the seasons or get rid of permits, etc. People are weird. They have varying opinions on pretty much everything. Listening to them makes the job harder. Data is different. I want a biologist to be able to retire and the new hire to step in and look at the same data trends and counts and say "I understand". The problem has been more of one where "political" influence has made biologist views less forthright. The data is the data. It doesn't have an opinion, but there are a lot of people that do. I just want clarity in the process and for it to be managed for the best interest of the resource and not for the public/private, R/NR, veteran/new resident hunter. I think we all come to the same place if we do that.
Now if we just had that data…🤔

But we do, right that’s the argument here. It seems that the FWP is doing their job, the contention is that it’s just too late. Not necessarily too little too late. Just too late. Time will tell. I can tell you after reading about half of what was suggested just for region 4 2024/2025 regulation and quota adjustments, they are definitely doing their job. Perhaps more transparency about why the changes seems slow to implement or less significant than some who want to protect the vital resources they are griping about would go a long way. The obvious truth, which has been said by many other more notable and experienced patrons than myself here, in a nutshell is this: you can’t make everyone happy. If the opportunity to hunt here in Montana for residents becomes as difficult or even half as difficult both from a statistical and/or financial perspective as it is for non-residents, can you imagine the hell that would be raised? I’m adding a link here from FWP that shows the Region 4 proposed changes for mule deer (there are also sections regarding elk hunting although I am not here to comment about elk hunting regulation changes).

Praying for thoughtful debate and welcoming all comers.

But we do, right that’s the argument here. It seems that the FWP is doing their job, the contention is that it’s just too late. Not necessarily too little too late. Just too late. Time will tell. I can tell you after reading about half of what was suggested just for region 4 2024/2025 regulation and quota adjustments, they are definitely doing their job. Perhaps more transparency about why the changes seems slow to implement or less significant than some who want to protect the vital resources they are griping about would go a long way. The obvious truth, which has been said by many other more notable and experienced patrons than myself here, in a nutshell is this: you can’t make everyone happy. If the opportunity to hunt here in Montana for residents becomes as difficult or even half as difficult both from a statistical and/or financial perspective as it is for non-residents, can you imagine the hell that would be raised? I’m adding a link here from FWP that shows the Region 4 proposed changes for mule deer (there are also sections regarding elk hunting although I am not here to comment about elk hunting regulation changes).

Praying for thoughtful debate and welcoming all comers.
Walk into region 7 and ask for their data and see how far you get.

They have the data. You can get the data if you ask (but from personal experience, it might be a fight). The whole theme of this thread is basically some Rs not understanding that they are fighting a whole gaggle of other Rs that think that the hunting is bad but they need MORE opportunity. I agree to cut NR tags, but your problem is pressure over a shrinking area (huntable land).

They have the data. You can get the data if you ask (but from personal experience, it might be a fight). The whole theme of this thread is basically some Rs not understanding that they are fighting a whole gaggle of other Rs that think that the hunting is bad but they need MORE opportunity. I agree to cut NR tags, but your problem is pressure over a shrinking area (huntable land).
Haha. Ok. They don’t have accurate harvest reporting. They don’t have any idea who is hunting where. How many deer harvested on private? How many harvested on public? What is the average age of the bucks harvested? What are the avg number of points? What are the average spread? I could go on and on. Just a smattering of data points that don’t get collected that do by other agencies. That’s not even getting into the accuracy of the data they actually track. Frankly their data sucks.

I started this thread because I noted a lot of deer were missing from the population each successive year over decades of time yet the biologists and their data were still saying everything is hunky dory so your idea of what the theme of this thread is, is just your preconceived notion and was probably already in your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cityslicker
Back