Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Watched a video of a great old MT buck getting shot on IG last night. Nothing about the deer looked old, but what ever you need to tell a client to make them happy I guess

Just a reminder that region 7’s meeting is tonight. Here’s the link if you want to call in.

I’d try to gimp my way there if the daughter didn’t have basketball games tonight

Just a reminder that region 7’s meeting is tonight. Here’s the link if you want to call in.

Should be a fairly short meeting. Region 7 you get a moose tag. Everything else looks great. Any questions?

My elk permit has been kicking my ass this year, so I thought I’d take a break and look for a deer today. It wasn’t much of a break. Spent the day in region 6, hiked a lot of coulees, and saw 4 does and zero bucks. Why any nonresidents decide to come here to hunt deer is just baffling to me.

My elk permit has been kicking my ass this year, so I thought I’d take a break and look for a deer today. It wasn’t much of a break. Spent the day in region 6, hiked a lot of coulees, and saw 4 does and zero bucks. Why any nonresidents decide to come here to hunt deer is just baffling to me.
They, along with the locals, will all still punch a tag.

If you want your blood to boil, Fast forward to minute 7:30, watch this grown ass man act like a 9 year old after he shoots his 4K$ rifle 3 times (last one skylined) at a 2.5yo 3pt buck. That short scene sums up a lot of what’s wrong with MD hunting in Montana. What a freaking joke. I don’t know if I can even take the rifle out after watching that.

Come on out to Montana and get your first 3pt MD Buck. I left a comment for them, it wasn’t very nice.
The word big or some version of big is used way too often in this video.

More NRs in the office today asking where to find deer. They were from WA, so meh. Lots of WA orange this year. They must have giving up in 7?

Back on topic. There hasn’t been meaningful numbers of big bucks in Montana for decades.

So as I’m sure some of you have picked up over the years from my posts, my parents own a ranch in eastern montana. My dad lets people hunt based off how many deer he sees. He is busy so he misses a lot, so populations have to be high for him to see them. Those years he lets people go hunt. We have a pasture that has a bunch of hay meadows with a flowing creek. In the 90s and 2000s it was common to see 70 plus mule deer on those hay meadows if he had not let anyone hunt. When I was out there this year to help ship calves, there were 7 mule deer on those hay bottoms. Not a single hunter has been down there. When my brother raised this with the bio last year(similar numbers), bio said well they probably migrated. 😂😂. That’s what we are up against to get meaningful change. 90% declines aren’t even on their radar. The deer are still out there guys. They just migrated.

Back on topic. There hasn’t been meaningful numbers of big bucks in Montana for decades.

So as I’m sure some of you have picked up over the years from my posts, my parents own a ranch in eastern montana. My dad lets people hunt based off how many deer he sees. He is busy so he misses a lot, so populations have to be high for him to see them. Those years he lets people go hunt. We have a pasture that has a bunch of hay meadows with a flowing creek. In the 90s and 2000s it was common to see 70 plus mule deer on those hay meadows if he had not let anyone hunt. When I was out there this year to help ship calves, there were 7 mule deer on those hay bottoms. Not a single hunter has been down there. When my brother raised this with the bio last year(similar numbers), bio said well they probably migrated. 😂😂. That’s what we are up against to get meaningful change. 90% declines aren’t even on their radar. The deer are still out there guys. They just migrated.
They migrated to a chest freezer in western Washington

I did not make the meeting but I asked a few questions online. Private land only doe tags seems like an elementary step. I was told they are all the same deer and there is no reason to do that. I’m not sure any of the game managers or biologists have ever set foot on public land. “We have been here before no reason to change a thing” FWP staff and ultimately the commission will own this one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back