Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

During the R7 meeting tonight, they said the justification for eliminating buck and bull quota ranges was that this commission wants to have more control over those numbers. When asked if the biologists would have adequate time to request and justify quota changes to the commission between their winter surveys and the spring commission meeting when regulations are finalized, they said “short answer is no, that is highly unlikely”.

During the R7 meeting tonight, they said the justification for eliminating buck and bull quota ranges was that this commission wants to have more control over those numbers. When asked if the biologists would have adequate time to request and justify quota changes to the commission between their winter surveys and the spring commission meeting when regulations are finalized, they said “short answer is no, that is highly unlikely”.
They are just gonna burn it to the ground arent they?

We just do what we’re told.

I did not make the meeting but I asked a few questions online. Private land only doe tags seems like an elementary step. I was told they are all the same deer and there is no reason to do that. I’m not sure any of the game managers or biologists have ever set foot on public land. “We have been here before no reason to change a thing” FWP staff and ultimately the commission will own this one.
Sorry I was unable to attend the meeting, with shipping on tomorrow it just was not going to happen.

The reason for private land doe tags is to try to rebuild the public land herd and to try to keep the does that are on public from leaving once the shooting starts. What we are doing now is for the most part handing over management to the adjacent privet landowners. Good deal for me, not so much for everyone else.

So they wanna take any management that the region does have left from it?

I was told they are all the same deer and there is no reason to do that.
This is not entirely true. Near me is a state section and some adjacent BLM. County road runs right through the middle of it. Before State access it was used as a popular bedding spot for does leaving the near by hay fields. Once access to state was established people started hunting the section and the BLM, but for the most part pressure was fairly light and the deer continued to use the public regularly. More recently with the introduction of the mapping apps, hunting pressure has increased exponentially. Now someone is hunting there just about everyday all season long and on weekends I commonly see four or five pickups parked on that single section. Now the deer ether stay on the hay field or go out of their way to avoid the public and stay on the private if they bed in the hills. Any deer that regularly used the public usually does not survive the season. After the season deer will again start using the public as it is top quality winter range. So yes the deer may all the same deer at the start of the season but it quickly evolves into deer that live on private and a over hunted public herd. The more we pressure the public the more stark the diffrence in the two herds. In time the deer using public during the winter may only briefly set foot on public during the season. We need to find ways to keep deer using public during season. No public doe tags would be a good start.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back