PEAX Equipment

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Actually had a good conversation with Hank the other day regarding mule deer. I am still in wait and see mode, before I crack a smile though.
Still been radio silence from him to me. I’m going to guess he’s not calling 🤣 Didn’t think I said anything in my email that would piss him off.

You would be free to disregard what I've said in that case, certainly. I guess I have not heard of an organized group of stakeholders getting a meeting and discussing mule deer in a long form conversation, potentially even multiple meetings. I was basing my opinion on that.
I’ve met with them twice individually as well as the meetings they have put on. Each time it’s “the data shows different. Surveys agree hunters want opportunity over quality. Need to just gain access to private. Just not hunting hard enough. With cwd there’s no way we can manage differently. Numbers look great compared to the ten year average”. It’s the same story every time yet things continue to decline.

It seems like we keep hearing the same mantra “hunters want opportunity over quality”. That’s fine. I totally get it. I’m probably starting to sound like a broken record, but why is 5 weeks of rifle during the entire rut the only option considered as opportunity. A month of archery is a lot of opportunity. 3-5 weeks of rifle during October or including the early part of November and beginning of the rut seems like an opportunity. Seasons shouldn’t be primarily set up for those who want to experience success with minimal effort.

It seems like we keep hearing the same mantra “hunters want opportunity over quality”. That’s fine. I totally get it. I’m probably starting to sound like a broken record, but why is 5 weeks of rifle during the entire rut the only option considered as opportunity. A month of archery is a lot of opportunity. 3-5 weeks of rifle during October or including the early part of November and beginning of the rut seems like an opportunity. Seasons shouldn’t be primarily set up for those who want to experience success with minimal effort.
Forgot. Have mentioned ending season before thanksgiving weekend. “People don’t want to give up their tradition”

Forgot. Have mentioned ending season before thanksgiving weekend. “People don’t want to give up their tradition”
Haha. Good point. Forgot that one. People tend to have this misconception that all traditions are good and that they can’t ever change. I think taking the family on a bird hunting walk, calling coyotes, goose hunting, or fishing, etc., sounds just as fun as blasting a thanksgiving buck. But that’s just one opinion.

Mule deer populations are directly related to winter food availability. 50% of winter food for mule deer is browse, check out the attached pic from the book "Wild migrations".
If you look at old videos of hunts, vacations, John Denver playing the guitar, etc.. you'll see that logging was a big part of the landscape in the 70s and early 80s.
Logging creates great browsing opportunities for mule deer and is especially helpful when feet of snow are on the ground.
I'd love to see more logging! Imagine areas we all know where the NF meets the BLM, let's log these area and watch the deer numbers improve.

Attachments

• Wildmigrations_winterfeed.jpg
    Wildmigrations_winterfeed.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Mule deer populations are directly related to winter food availability. 50% of winter food for mule deer is browse, check out the attached pic from the book "Wild migrations".
If you look at old videos of hunts, vacations, John Denver playing the guitar, etc.. you'll see that logging was a big part of the landscape in the 70s and early 80s.
Logging creates great browsing opportunities for mule deer and is especially helpful when feet of snow are on the ground.
I'd love to see more logging! Imagine areas we all know where the NF meets the BLM, let's log these area and watch the deer numbers improve.
Little bit of logging opportunity off in the distance but not a lot in eastern Montana
093ED9D0-1FEE-4356-A464-BC10A167684E.jpeg

I won’t disagree that logging can help with browse and grazing conditions but it also typically comes with road building and a serious loss in wildlife security. I live in the heart of northern idaho logging country and most of the deer I see grouped up this time of year are in the big old timber stands that have shelter, thermal cover and less snow on the ground. The clearcuts are full of deep crusty snow right now

FWP has to manage mule deer, hunters can’t/won’t control themselves.
Hunter’s will buy every license available and fill every tag they have, assuming they’re able. There are a few of us here preaching to the choir that can/will self control, but hunters by and large are parasites, taking all they can and leaving a gut pile in the field. Perhaps calling them parasites is a little harsh, they don’t understand management/biology/age structure, ect./self control. Their mindset is “oh boy, there’s antlers on that one, gotta get him before the next guy does”.

Until we are all fed up enuf to show up with torches and pitchforks in each region and at FWP headquarters lawn expect to see very few changes.
This right here can't be screamed loud enough in my opinion. No truer words have been spoken. They put way to much trust in thinking their (name your state) game department knows what they are doing.

Listening session regarding mule deer management being held in Glasgow March 15

GLASGOW –Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is holding a public listening session regarding mule deer management in Region 6 in northeast Montana. The listening session is from 6-8 p.m. at the Cottonwood Inn in Glasgow on Wednesday, March 15. Hunters, landowners, and wildlife enthusiasts are encouraged to attend.

Region 6 wildlife staff will provide a background on mule deer management, the current status of mule deer populations in the region, trends in hunters and harvest, and an update on CWD. Following the presentation, the floor will be open for dialogue between public participants and FWP staff.

The intent of this session is for FWP to have a chance to hear various concerns, questions, and perspectives from the interested public. There will be no decisions made during this listening session.

The Busted Knuckle opens at 1600 and rumor has it @Schaaf has an open tab on demand. Three pints in 90 minutes with half hour left over for a little pre-meeting banter with FWP staff. Wish I could make it.

The Busted Knuckle opens at 1600 and rumor has it @Schaaf has an open tab on demand. Three pints in 90 minutes with half hour left over for a little pre-meeting banter with FWP staff. Wish I could make it.
Absolutely, free beer is free beer. The new German Alt Bier is 🔥

My kids say the cream soda’s better than the root beer though.

GLASGOW –Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is holding a public listening session regarding mule deer management in Region 6 in northeast Montana. The listening session is from 6-8 p.m. at the Cottonwood Inn in Glasgow on Wednesday, March 15. Hunters, landowners, and wildlife enthusiasts are encouraged to attend.

Region 6 wildlife staff will provide a background on mule deer management, the current status of mule deer populations in the region, trends in hunters and harvest, and an update on CWD. Following the presentation, the floor will be open for dialogue between public participants and FWP staff.

The intent of this session is for FWP to have a chance to hear various concerns, questions, and perspectives from the interested public. There will be no decisions made during this listening session.

Be curious how similar this presentation will be compared to the region 7 one

Will this be live streamed in some sort of fashion so people who can't attend can listen in?

Kinda what I figured. People aren’t actually seeing what they think they are seeing is basically what it’s about. Also when big private landowners call in to say they are also seeing declining numbers it’s their fault for not getting ahold of biologists
Hopefully something changes up here! pretty sure the region 6 fwp is going to get an earful from everyone in attendance! The residents of region 6 I think have had enough of the mismanagement of mule deer up here and it’s time for some serious changes. We can only hope that it happens at least.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back