Caribou Gear

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

More hashtags we can add after the legislature convenes in January:

#InLinesComing2023
#CheckBillDrafts

Those hard winter weather comments could apply to Region 3, also. This is looking a lot like 1996-97 and 2010-11. Gonna be some fat scavengers come April.

I’ll be shocked if inlines aren’t included. Open sights of course. For now

Deer are getting no favors with the weather like it is in southeastern Montana right now. Following this blizzard with below zero temps for over a week. Going to be tough on them real early into the winter already.

#keepthatblackpowderdry
#traditional
I just read again on another site how overpopulated does are, that people need to be killing them, and that they’re all going to winter kill

#InLinesComing2023
#CheckBillDrafts

Those hard winter weather comments could apply to Region 3, also. This is looking a lot like 1996-97 and 2010-11. Gonna be some fat scavengers come April.
I’m afraid you’re going to be right. It appears winter is in full force across much of Montana this year. The critters already took a 1-2 punch to get here. I’m not sure what this winter is? The knockout blow I guess.

I hate to say it but with a Republican supermajority the wildlife bills are going to be more brutal than ever. It’s going to be pretty tough to watch and stay calm but I’m prepping myself mentally so hopefully I can keep it together.

I will be interested to see at what deer population level fwp bio’s will finally change their tune. This winter should just about put us at a place even they can’t continue to say things are great.

#InLinesComing2023
#CheckBillDrafts

Are in lines truly coming? I haven’t checked the bill drafts. If so I’ll be sharing the hell out of this from the original heritage season sponsor.

1671119829998.png

The comments on that post are still out there, and the concerns of people, some hunt talkers included. In fact, when concern about the resource was conveyed to the sponsor, he called @Gerald Martin a liberal.

It’s fascinating how self-proclaimed conservatives are the most liberal people I know when it comes to a disregardant management of our wildlife.

Are in lines truly coming? I haven’t checked the bill drafts. If so I’ll be sharing the hell out of this from the original heritage season sponsor.

View attachment 255597

The comments on that post are still out there, and the concerns of people, some hunt talkers included. In fact, when concern about the resource was conveyed to the sponsor, he called @Gerald Martin a liberal.

It’s fascinating how self-proclaimed conservatives are the most liberal people I know when it comes to a disregardant management of our wildlife.
Yeah my new favorite response when someone says something I don’t like or disagree with “I’m not an F’n democrat!!!!”

I’m afraid you’re going to be right. It appears winter is in full force across much of Montana this year. The critters already took a 1-2 punch to get here. I’m not sure what this winter is? The knockout blow I guess.

I hate to say it but with a Republican supermajority the wildlife bills are going to be more brutal than ever. It’s going to be pretty tough to watch and stay calm but I’m prepping myself mentally so hopefully I can keep it together.

I will be interested to see at what deer population level fwp bio’s will finally change their tune. This winter should just about put us at a place even they can’t continue to say things are great.
I’m guessing they will be using the most conservative management at their fingertips of letting the whole state shoot mule deer bucks instead of bucks and does. Adaptive management at work. On the bright side the winter could sure curb CWD for the foreseeable future.

My grandpa always used to tell me “We live in the #$$hole of Montana”

Definitely a good start to the winter.
Could be a long winter for the few remaining mule deer.
Those deer are gonna be in the hurt bag. Frigid temps to follow blizzard.

Not a good look for deer in Eastern MT and ND.

1671162689543.png

Last edited:
If the roads didn't suck so bad, I would be up in Billings buying a new smoke pole. Still have three days left. Shoot them before they die of winter kill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back