Montana HD 270

Epfd217

Some buddies invited me and my friend to hunt with them in MT next year. We are trying to decide if its a decent hunt. Me and my hunting buddy have 2 points in WY and we planned on drawing the general tag in WY.

The people who invited us said they would hunt in HD270 with an option for 334. 270 is a draw tag but looks like its still a 100% draw. On the forums, most of the info is a few years old, but some of the news articles and DNR articles say that 270 is coming up and doing well.

Any thoughts on the current condition of 270 and what would your opinion be about hunting this area in the rut with the bow?

We are simply regular hunters looking to fill tags and one of the guys is completely new to elk. I'm hoping to spike out a few miles in, but I'm seeing there are a lot of logging roads. Any idea if there is much room to get away from the roads?

Thanks

If you have friends who know the area well, they may have some spots that are good. Deer is whitetail only unless you draw a nearly impossible mule deer permit. It's one of the hardest to draw in the state.

It would be way down on my list for a first choice unless your friends have local knowledge.

I'll send you a pm tomorrow. Gerald Martin is correct, at least from my experience.

So, my main question is if you had to pick one hunt to do, would you choose the Montana hunt in 270 or the WY hunt?

Only one person has "local" knowledge. He doesn't live there, but he hunted it twice before and has family nearby. So the local connection is not a huge advantage.

If people are talking about comparing, are there OTC bowhunts in Sept. you would do instead of a general tag in WY?

Last edited:
I haven't hunted WY, but take your pick of about any unit that begins with a 3 and you'll have more elk action in Sept.

First archery elk hunt with a friend in this unit during late September. Any pointers for the new at heart. Unit wasn't my choice but this is a backcountry hunt with an fellow soldier that I served in Afghanistan with. We plan on fishing too. Any hints on that too?

First archery elk hunt with a friend in this unit during late September. Any pointers for the new at heart. Unit wasn't my choice but this is a backcountry hunt with an fellow soldier that I served in Afghanistan with. We plan on fishing too. Any hints on that too?

I've hunted and fished this unit for a couple decades. The Eastfork and all tributaries are great fishing. September is a great time to catch some feisty browns. I would try the Eastfork proper first. A lot of it runs through private land so ask for permission from landowners and I'm sure they will be accommodating especially to folks like you that served our country.

Thank you much friend. It's about the experience and nothing else. I'm guessing if we are unsuccessful with the elk then we will be doing more fishing. From what people have said and the biologist say the count is better but it's not the best unit for elk. We are doing our topo/google earth research. The biggest thing for me is getting in mountain shape at 350ft MSL. I've done it once before for Afghanistan but of course I was carrying a flight vest 25 lbs of body armor and an medical aid bag.

I've never hunted 270 and not got into elk. You are on the right track. Get into decent mountain shape. Get off the beaten path. You will find elk.

Jbird
Why not do some damn research ? Why did you apply for a permit you don’t seem to know much about ? It’s obvious your super unprepared and have no idea how Montana draws/tags work based on the other shenanigans you’ve had going on aka getting given a general tag for being inept .... did u expect a bunch of help or what ? Cmon man.........

Jbird
Why not do some damn research ? Why did you apply for a permit you don’t seem to know much about ? It’s obvious your super unprepared and have no idea how Montana draws/tags work based on the other shenanigans you’ve had going on aka getting given a general tag for being inept .... did u expect a bunch of help or what ? Cmon man.........
Lol. I’m asking someone for their personal experience. I’ve actually put a lot of time in researching the HD we plan to hunt. I’m just trying to bring an old thread back to life that’s specifically about HD 270... Sorry I didn’t fully understand the Montana licensing. Seems like you might be losing sleep about that fact... based on your comments, I imagine you’re a crusty old man 🤣 cmon man.......

Honestly you're asking a lot of specific questions on a very public forum about a very heavily hunted unit. I don't think you're going to get much out of this crew...at least not publicly.
What did I ask that was so specific? Maybe did you see a lot of animals was to specific?

anything that people can search online via Google about a unit especially animal numbers is too specific

There's very likely a reason the thread from 5 years ago didn't have any specific responses. I stopped hunting it years ago. There are animals there...time of foot trumps the information here.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back