Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana guys, what are the best Spring months to call coyotes, in your mind?

D4570

I have a very dear friend that wants to come out ( Montana) from PA for a spring coyote hunt. I'm in the GF area but will travel a couple of hundred miles to hunt.
He is 15 years older than me, that's 15 years older than dirt...
Anyway, I like June, or July ( not really spring) But warmer and little snow on the ground.
How about May? Mid-May? If the weather really craps out we will shoot Prairie dogs.
I know most females will be denned up but I have actually had fair luck in may.
We will mostly hunt Prairie or ag lands and river breaks.

In the winter when it is really cold is prob the best. I can't really speak to when it is warm out, there are way better things to do in MT in May and June than coyote hunt.

I don't really know when the young dogs are out on the landscape, but June may be a good month to drill those young ones cause they are dumb.

Maybe I'm getting too soft, but I don't like killing coyotes when I know they have pups in their dens. That being said, August and September might be my favorite times to call when the young ones have left the dens. I guess I'm ok with shooting them when I call them in but not ok with killing them from starvation because I killed their mom.

Kinda like shooting elk in March.?
Most of the coyotes I have shot in May are Males.
June can be Iffy, but the Females seem to hunt closer to the den and sometimes the pups are out by late June.
If "Control" is your purpose It's a great time to put a dent in their population.

Back