Montana General season

Ya I know. I guess I was just curious who struck out in bow and went back in rifle and scored.
If I strike out in archery (which is often), I always look forward to rifle hunting. I have killed elk during rifle season where I archery hunted but often weather will change where I want to hunt. Good luck.

If your goal is a bull, then your odds are much lower in rifle season. If you're simply looking to fill your tag and you're good with a fat cow, then get your butt out there.

@MNJared , I would caution you against hunting the timbered spot late in the season as most of the elk will move down if there is snow. The timbered spots may be good for bulls that are still laying up form the rut, but its hard to know.

I've been elk hunting for 7 years and have always been successful going back in the later season. The rifle certainly helps up the odds. I have always been willing to shoot a cow or we only had cow tags. Either way, I'm hunting for meat. If I get a shot at a bull, I will take it, but its not my main concern.

The other advantage to going back, is more on the ground scouting/learning. Don't be afraid to be mobile. We got our butts kicked too this september, but I'm here now planning that return trip for November and most likely missing my home state deer hunt for it. To me, its worth it.

If your goal is a bull, then your odds are much lower in rifle season. If you're simply looking to fill your tag and you're good with a fat cow, then get your butt out there.

@MNJared , I would caution you against hunting the timbered spot late in the season as most of the elk will move down if there is snow. The timbered spots may be good for bulls that are still laying up form the rut, but its hard to know.

I've been elk hunting for 7 years and have always been successful going back in the later season. The rifle certainly helps up the odds. I have always been willing to shoot a cow or we only had cow tags. Either way, I'm hunting for meat. If I get a shot at a bull, I will take it, but its not my main concern.

The other advantage to going back, is more on the ground scouting/learning. Don't be afraid to be mobile. We got our butts kicked too this september, but I'm here now planning that return trip for November and most likely missing my home state deer hunt for it. To me, its worth it.
Thank you! Meat is the objective at this point. I’ll take what I can get my crosshairs on. I sure do approve the help!

I hope to get my first tag in April. Hope to hunt around White Sulphur Springs. Just wanted to know if there are grizzlies in units around WSS? Like unit 452, 454 and 446? If so, how prevalent are they? Any specific cautions. I will have bear spray, and I'll be hunting with a 7MM mag

I hope to get my first tag in April. Hope to hunt around White Sulphur Springs. Just wanted to know if there are grizzlies in units around WSS? Like unit 452, 454 and 446? If so, how prevalent are they? Any specific cautions. I will have bear spray, and I'll be hunting with a 7MM mag
There's always a chance, just don't forget that.

Just go out and have fun.

446 yup.

There's always a chance, just don't forget that.

Just go out and have fun.
I will! Thanks. I want to be up there for a couple of months. I'm retired and just got a truck topper for possible camping and maybe a motel or two. Been walking 4 miles down here with my new boots on to break them in. I'll probably just hunt mornings so I don't wear myself out. One guy said to pace yourself. Absolutely. I'll probably take every other day off. I'm diabetic but under control, but that complicates everything. Do my best. Ive got a buddy in Great Falls that we will go mule deer hunting in the districts he has experience in. Looking forward to it.

@Cornbread if you’re just planning to morning hunt around White Sulphur Springs it’s worth staying in the hotel with the springs for a night. A hot soak is real nice after a cold days’ hunt.

As for griz, I don’t believe they’re dense if even especially present in those units. But as others said, could always be a possibility. It’s certainly not an area where my hackles are up like they are in other parts of the state.

@Cornbread if you’re just planning to morning hunt around White Sulphur Springs it’s worth staying in the hotel with the springs for a night. A hot soak is real nice after a cold days’ hunt.

As for griz, I don’t believe they’re dense if even especially present in those units. But as others said, could always be a possibility. It’s certainly not an area where my hackles are up like they are in other parts of the state.
Thanks for the suggestion for the hotter motel. I'll have to try it. I saw on on elf Randy's videos they showed a may of grizzly coverage and it looked like those units weren't in the grizzly area. That's why I'm asking. Anybody else j=know about these units?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back