Montana general season questions

ElDudarino

Pretty funny to be planning next season when this season isnt closed yet. But, I’ve done all my trips for the year so what else am I supposed to do.

My wife has never hunted and has decided she wants to try it next year. I have to burn my Montana points next year and she bought one this year so I’m pretty confident we will draw.

I hunted in the SW portion of the state a few years ago, had several opportunities and learned from messing them up 😂. I’m pretty comfortable on finding elk (even if killin em is a different matter)

What I am more curious about is how hunting pressure ebbs and flows across the course of this fairly long season. Playing the pressure has been a successful strategy for me in CO OTC units. My assumption is that NR hunters probably are heaviest in the first week and locals are heavy on weekends and when weather is best. Is this even a factor to try and game?

Also, to what degree am I gambling on weather restricting access by going later in the season? Last time, there was a big snow storm before opener and most melted off as the week went on so maybe weather is just luck of the draw? I’ve got chains, recovery gear and a winch but better if I don’t have to use them.

TIA

Northwest MT, all the variables you mention are variable.
Resident vs. non-resident: Most non residents hunt with outfitters. When I hunted this region as a non resident, I had land here to camp on and of course hunted early season. Then I figured out I could hunt Idaho non resident instead with the advantages that the season was much earlier and no orange vests were required (don't know about now). Montana Elk is after mating so bugling is less viable.
Locals take time off in hunting season so it's not just on weekends, although weekends are busier. Rural locals know all the honey-holes so it helps to befriend them.
Weather is a major variable, you will find road hunting is big in cold spells.
Snow and related access is going to be elevation related. I hunt around 3500 feet and access is rarely a problem during hunting season. Usually the big snows come in late February. It's different every year...you could have cold weather the first 3 weeks of season then a warm week. You just never know...but if you plan in advance and travel of course early season is playing the odds.
A major factor in success is familiarity with the area you're hunting. When I was non-resident my hours hunted vs success rate was pretty poor compared to now.
More hunting takes place at lower elevations near ranches. If you like playing the pressure, you might zero in on that, and you avoid taking wife into colder, more dangerous territory. If you happen to get a warm spell you can always explore higher.
If you see a wolf shoot it!
GLTU!

Northwest MT, all the variables you mention are variable.
Resident vs. non-resident: Most non residents hunt with outfitters. When I hunted this region as a non resident, I had land here to camp on and of course hunted early season. Then I figured out I could hunt Idaho non resident instead with the advantages that the season was much earlier and no orange vests were required (don't know about now). Montana Elk is after mating so bugling is less viable.
Locals take time off in hunting season so it's not just on weekends, although weekends are busier. Rural locals know all the honey-holes so it helps to befriend them.
Weather is a major variable, you will find road hunting is big in cold spells.
Snow and related access is going to be elevation related. I hunt around 3500 feet and access is rarely a problem during hunting season. Usually the big snows come in late February. It's different every year...you could have cold weather the first 3 weeks of season then a warm week. You just never know...but if you plan in advance and travel of course early season is playing the odds.
A major factor in success is familiarity with the area you're hunting. When I was non-resident my hours hunted vs success rate was pretty poor compared to now.
More hunting takes place at lower elevations near ranches. If you like playing the pressure, you might zero in on that, and you avoid taking wife into colder, more dangerous territory. If you happen to get a warm spell you can always explore higher.
If you see a wolf shoot it!
GLTU!
I was gonna ask about wolf tags. Fairly cheep, so worth having?

I was gonna ask about wolf tags. Fairly cheep, so worth having?
Check nonresident tags at MFWP. Wolves, being semi-nocturnal and having much keener senses than humans are rarely seen so most people around here don't bother getting the tags and say "If I see one I'll gut shoot it so it will run away and die". Among locals it's considered a civic duty. The success rate for hunters actively seeking Wolves to hunt is very low. They're so damn clever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back