Montana General Elk

He may be on the track, if there were more than just a few elk in the northwestern areas you might see less in-state folks traveling to hunt. Maybe its just me but Lincoln County should still be crawling with elk with the available elk habitat.

I agree. I hear a lot of the people here in central MT say things like "stay on your side of the mountain" about people coming to hunt from western MT. Meanwhile these same people only care about the hunting area in their backyard. Maybe if we cared more about the quality of the hunting in western MT those western MT residents wouldn't have to be coming to the east half of the state to hunt. I would probably be doing the same if I lived on the west side of the state.

Probably doesn’t help that Montana has grown by almost 200,000 people in the last 20 years as well. That’s a lot of extra general tags being pumped out. I think the last figure I seen was 60% of Montana residents hunt. Even if only 30% of those new hunters hunt elk that’s an extra 36,000 people walking around with general tags compared to 20 years ago. No wonder it’s crowded everywhere
Yep! And it isn't going to take 20 years to add another 200,000 at the pace we are seeing now.

Your exactly right but on social media it’s us (me) NR’s getting blasted for doing the over crowding and shooting all the small bucks when I’d say it’s more to blame on residents especially when it comes to over crowding
It was interesting this year trailhead was the busiest I have ever seen it in the 8 years I have been going. Opening weekend there wasn't a place to park hardly. Of the 40 some vehicles (lots of day hikers I am sure too) myself and 2 other vehicle had NR license plates the rest had MT plates. NR tag numbers have been the same for the 8yrs I have been going (17000) so cant its more of "us". Good luck to all the remainder of season. Montana is an amazing place with tons of opportunity of you dont mind a little work. Only saw 1 other hunter in 10 days.

I would look at the FWP regs and find general areas that are open to either sex, or anterless or spike elk. Some of those areas have elk numbers over the objectives and likely have some decent opportunity at a freezer filler. I would also call the biologist in the regions you research and visit with them.

There are places you can have a pretty good hunting experience if you do your homework and put in some serious effort but you're not likely to get too many handouts via the internet.

You have been very polite and gracious in asking for information so I am not intending to knock you but people aren't likely to give up much information after they've put in the hard work finding a spot themselves.

Just my opinion though, I may be wrong.

Best of luck to you for sure and hope you whack an elk!

Had an appointment in Bozeman yesterday afternoon so I took my bow and met up with a friend that evening. A 25 minute drive from Bozeman and not even 50 yards off a side road we get into 5-7 bulls that were bugling in every direction around us. We picked a direction and started cow calling. Almost immediately two Bulls on each side of us were bugling in close proximity. I went up from our current location a ways and dropped in the drainage to see if I could find a good position between my friend cow calling and the bull that was approaching. The timber was significantly thick, however I found a small opening that I positioned myself in. With my friend still calling in the distance, I could hear branches and twigs snapping and something big approaching. At last, I see his rack (5x5) and portions of his body as he moved gracefully behind this thick timber. My heart pumping, my hands shaking as I knock the arrow. Without hesitation, he abruptly turns and slowly recedes back into the thick timber.

At this point I can’t tell if he winded me or if something else spooked him. With day light slowly fading and my pins starting to dwindle, I knew I had to be more aggressive. I hop out of my little clearing and make a straight shot towards him. I eventually get closer without spooking him and set up in another small clearing. Within a few minutes at most, I finally have him at 10-15 yards, but the timber is just too thick to make an ethical shot and legal shooting light has concluded. I toss my arrow back in the quiver and take a seat listening to all the bulls screaming.

All said and done, I’m fairly content with how I handled the situation based on the fact that this was only my second time hunting with a bow and second year ever hunting Elk.

I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions so far!

Last edited:
I agree. I hear a lot of the people here in central MT say things like "stay on your side of the mountain" about people coming to hunt from western MT. Meanwhile these same people only care about the hunting area in their backyard. Maybe if we cared more about the quality of the hunting in western MT those western MT residents wouldn't have to be coming to the east half of the state to hunt. I would probably be doing the same if I lived on the west side of the state.
Pretty sad if a guy can't find an elk in Western Montana. mtmuley

I’m assuming the two were satellite bulls..Unfortunately, we didn’t have a bugle tube last night. Not sure if that would of helped us out more?

I’m assuming the two were satellite bulls..Unfortunately, we didn’t have a bugle tube last night. Not sure if that would of helped us out more?
You did it right, in a situation like that when they're all fire up, just sneak in and hope to get an opportunity on one of the satellites. They're just in there trying to circle and take that hot cow away from the herd bull, they hardly care about anything else.

I would look at the FWP regs and find general areas that are open to either sex, or anterless or spike elk. Some of those areas have elk numbers over the objectives and likely have some decent opportunity at a freezer filler. I would also call the biologist in the regions you research and visit with them.

There are places you can have a pretty good hunting experience if you do your homework and put in some serious effort but you're not likely to get too many handouts via the internet.

You have been very polite and gracious in asking for information so I am not intending to knock you but people aren't likely to give up much information after they've put in the hard work finding a spot themselves.

Just my opinion though, I may be wrong.

Best of luck to you for sure and hope you whack an elk!

They really tightened the either sex opportunities for general tag holders this year. Big changes, at least in the Helena area. Most districts now require B tags to hunt antlerless. And not available OTC.

They really tightened the either sex opportunities for general tag holders this year. Big changes, at least in the Helena area. Most districts now require B tags to hunt antlerless. And not available OTC.

Yup, for sure but still a few out there worth looking into.

Good point though, and I agree.

Back