Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana General Elk

802flyfish

This will be my second year pursuing Elk during rifle season. I've learned a lot last year hunting by myself, however I'm determined to spend more time in the woods. I'm in the process of trying to plan a 3-4 day hunt with the focus of getting further in the backcountry. I’m looking to fill the freezer, but antlers would be an added bonus.

I'm trying to pick a general area and was hoping that someone on here might have a recommendation. I'm currently debating the Little Belts, Big/Little Snowy mountains or Tendoy mountains/ Lima area. I've been browsing the Lima peak area with OnX and like how vast it is and not covered with atv trails compared to other places. Seems like it would be a good area to glass.

I don't have access to an ATV or horse, however I'm still fairly young and willing to cover some miles and camp in the backcountry.

Would be more then willing to help someone pack out some meat if anyone needs help around the Gallatin area.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Seems to me like you would be driving past a lot of public land elk to get to any of those destinations. Have you explored areas closer to home?

I have explored a little by my house, but even after going back a few miles I still find myself running into people. I hiked all the way around this private club here in Big Sky to only find members hunting the boundary line which was a major bummer.

Last edited:
I have explored a little by my house, but even after going back a few miles I still find myself running into people. I hiked all the way around this private club here in Big Sky to only find members hunting the boundary line which was a major bummer.

Realistically you probably aren't going to get rid of people on a Montana general tag. My best piece of advice would be to hunt during the week when possible, and don't let people discourage you. Many times people take their gun/bow for a walk and don't actually "hunt" anything. They have a route in mind and they take off walking 4mph and don't see an animal. Be thorough, take your time, and don't worry about people. A strong mind is 90% of the battle when hunting General Tag public land elk in Montana.

I appreciate the words of wisdom. I plan on watching Randy’s Elk scouting videos on YouTube with addition to more time on OnX.

If it’s crowds you are looking to get away from, then I’m sorry to say that you will not achieve your goal in any of the areas noted. SW Montana general rifle season is a real zoo. I tried 3 different units last year and was blown away by the number of hunters.
This year I will forego jumping from unit to unit and just stick it out in one.

Lot of that company thanks to this forum and Facebook. All bout the “heading out west” glory posts. Locals used to have an advantage but internet has ruined most of that.

Lot of that company thanks to this forum and Facebook. All bout the “heading out west” glory posts. Locals used to have an advantage but internet has ruined most of that.
Did Montana ever have much for leftover non resident elk tags once hunting season rolled around?

Unfortunately there’s tons and tons of truth to this

Did Montana ever have much for leftover non resident elk tags once hunting season rolled around?
I’m guessing No but there’s more opportunities now with all the b tags and popular areas have gotten more popular due to folks blabbing online

I’m guessing No but there’s more opportunities now with all the b tags and popular areas have gotten more popular due to folks blabbing online
Probably doesn’t help that Montana has grown by almost 200,000 people in the last 20 years as well. That’s a lot of extra general tags being pumped out. I think the last figure I seen was 60% of Montana residents hunt. Even if only 30% of those new hunters hunt elk that’s an extra 36,000 people walking around with general tags compared to 20 years ago. No wonder it’s crowded everywhere

Last edited:
Probably doesn’t help that Montana has grown by almost 200,000 people in the last 20 years as well. That’s a lot of extra general tags being pumped out. I think the last figure I seen was 60% of Montana residents hunt. Even if only 30% of those new hunters hunt elk that’s an extra 36,000 people walking around with general tags compared to 20 years ago. No wonder it’s crowded everywhere
Your exactly right but on social media it’s us (me) NR’s getting blasted for doing the over crowding and shooting all the small bucks when I’d say it’s more to blame on residents especially when it comes to over crowding

I think a huge decline in private land open to hunting has concentrated a lot more hunters on public land as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back