Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana fall turkey

Hankg

I am headed to SE Montana in November for first deer hunt there. I have never shot a Merriams and it looks like Montana has a coinciding fall turkey season. Also looks like you can use a rifle? How realistic would it be to have a chance at getting a turkey on public in November? Thanks

Very realistic.

Keep your eyes open when driving/hiking by creek-bottoms, especially in the mornings and evenings. We take them often while hunting deer and pronghorn in SE MT. I usually throw a shotgun in for the trip, but we’ve shot them with rifles too, just need to place the shot well! My son took one last year with his rifle while we were pronghorn hunting, pretty cool for a bonus.

Nice thing, in the fall you can shoot either Toms or Hens......

Very realistic.

Keep your eyes open when driving/hiking by creek-bottoms, especially in the mornings and evenings. We take them often while hunting deer and pronghorn in SE MT. I usually throw a shotgun in for the trip, but we’ve shot them with rifles too, just need to place the shot well! My son took one last year with his rifle while we were pronghorn hunting, pretty cool for a bonus.

Nice thing, in the fall you can shoot either Toms or Hens......
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if it was common to see them. I will look into getting a fall tag.

Hey I am a freshmen student at MSU in Bozemen. You guys have general area's that hold birds near bozemen not looking for anyones spots just a good starting point.

Back