Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Elk

mrbluesky

I'm looking to do a DIY Elk hunt in Montana this fall. I understand the draw odds are about 50% for a non-resident general tag and if you pay the $50 extra those odds increase to about 75%. I have a few questions that someone on here could probably answer before calling Fish and Game.

1. Do you have to select the unit you will be hunting in when you submit your application?

2. Do you have to select the dates for your hunt?

My plan is to hunt in November. Thanks in advance for your comments.

I'm looking to do a DIY Elk hunt in Montana this fall. I understand the draw odds are about 50% for a non-resident general tag and if you pay the $50 extra those odds increase to about 75%. I have a few questions that someone on here could probably answer before calling Fish and Game.

1. Do you have to select the unit you will be hunting in when you submit your application?

I'm not the expert here, but your draw odds are nowhere near 75% with just one point for the elk combo. If I were you I would NOT plan on being able to hunt elk in MT this fall if you don't already have at least 1 point (plus 1 to be purchased at application).

You’re better off not buying a preference point if you want to hunt this fall. I believe FWP is statutorily compelled to allocate 20% of NR combos to applicants with zero preference points.

The attached statistics are going to get worse this coming season because the legislature made some changes that give greater preference to outfitted hunters.

MT has both general units and ones where you need to specifically apply. You don’t need to pick dates. Check the regs book from last season to get an idea. There are big changes coming to boundaries and permits in 2022 so keep an eye out for those regs once their released.

Attachments

• DFDF30F0-AAB3-4E3D-8201-363B0D23BCC0.jpeg
    DFDF30F0-AAB3-4E3D-8201-363B0D23BCC0.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 59

Um . No . Do not buy a point if u wanna hunt this fall . Non pp holders were 71% last year for elk combo draw and 30 something % with 1 point .

You’re better off not buying a preference point if you want to hunt this fall. I believe FWP is statutorily compelled to allocate 20% of NR combos to applicants with zero preference points.

The attached statistics are going to get worse this coming season because the legislature made some changes that give greater preference to outfitted hunters.

MT has both general units and ones where you need to specifically apply. You don’t need to pick dates. Check the regs book from last season to get an idea. There are big changes coming to boundaries and permits in 2022 so keep an eye out for those regs once their released.
See, this confuses me. Based upon these numbers, nearly 23% of the big game combos went to 0 point holders. How does that happen? With the deer combo it was almost 25% exactly and the elk combo it was over 31%. What is the % that is supposed to be random draw for 0 point holders for each combo?

See, this confuses me. Based upon these numbers, nearly 23% of the big game combos went to 0 point holders. How does that happen? With the deer combo it was almost 25% exactly and the elk combo it was over 31%. What is the % that is supposed to be random draw for 0 point holders for each combo?
It’s suppose to be 25%

If I draw this year and decide to apply next year I don’t see myself buying pp’s anymore . The 0 point draw will be better odds

OP, MT is convoluted as hell.

There is a "general tag" that is OTC for residents but must be drawn by non residents. This allows you to hunt in most of the state from the opening of general archery in early sept until the close of rifle season after thanksgiving.

There are Preference points and bonus points. They are not the same. Preference points are only used for NR applying for general tags. Bonus points are only for limited entry permits. NR must draw a general tag in order to be in the running for a limited entry permit.

What the odds were 2 years ago or last year wont be the same this year. It's up to you to understand what has changed year to year, look at trends, and guess what the impact will be on this year's odds.

Those are the basics but i'd recommend you spend some time reading the actual regs and prior season drawing results to understand the choices in front of you.

I'd assume Randy will have a podcast eventually to explain all of this. You can listen to previous versions but understand that this year will differ.

Um . No . Do not buy a point if u wanna hunt this fall . Non pp holders were 71% last year for elk combo draw and 30 something % with 1 point .
I was wondering if ALOT of people will have this strategy? Now that odds are so well published and circulated. Its a tough call because the odds for 1 preference point should be 0 percent and at least with no points you will have odds at a tag in the 25% random draw but I think they will be way worse than last year. If you risk the o pool then you are stuck in the o or 1 pp pool the next year. I am thinking buy the pp and have good odds with 2 pp the next year. Anyways with the high odds last year with zero (and the double in cost) I think a lot of people play that game and odds go WAY down for the non pp holders

Hey, just wondering where you found that table? Are the numbers legit?

OP, MT is convoluted as hell.

There is a "general tag" that is OTC for residents but must be drawn by non residents. This allows you to hunt in most of the state from the opening of general archery in early sept until the close of rifle season after thanksgiving.

There are Preference points and bonus points. They are not the same. Preference points are only used for NR applying for general tags. Bonus points are only for limited entry permits. NR must draw a general tag in order to be in the running for a limited entry permit.

What the odds were 2 years ago or last year wont be the same this year. It's up to you to understand what has changed year to year, look at trends, and guess what the impact will be on this year's odds.

Those are the basics but i'd recommend you spend some time reading the actual regs and prior season drawing results to understand the choices in front of you.

I'd assume Randy will have a podcast eventually to explain all of this. You can listen to previous versions but understand that this year will differ.
Don’t worry Hank simplified things this year!

Hey, just wondering where you found that table? Are the numbers legit?
Run a query in your preferred search engine like “FWP Drawing statistics” and there should be a drop down menu called “Animal” that also includes NR Combo Tags.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back