Montana Elk Unit 412

Tkaldahl2000

I am new to Montana and this will be my first year elk hunting. In the regs it says that HD 412 is open to antlerless elk starting August 15. I have a map of the region, and there is quite a bit of BLM land in that unit, but it looks pretty steep. Since I teach for a living, this is probably the best chance I would have to spend a week chasing elk. On the other hand, I don't want to shoot something and then have the meat spoil because I can't get it in the cooler fast enough.

Does anyone have any experience up their that they would be willing to share? Also, it does not specify weapon type. I will be hunting with my bow, but my youngest son only wants to hunt with a rifle. Is that ok? I'll double check with game and parks, but if you have an idea please share.

Best advice I can give you is call the religion 4 office in Lewistown and ask for Sonja the area biologist!

Yes, the BLM ground is steep. Not all, but a lot of it is steep. Plenty of elk, and they are very transient, so when you see them on public, go after them. They may not be there tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses. Plan A was the Snowies off of Red Hill Road, but the early opening in 412 will probably draw me in. Since I didn't put in for any draws I am limited to antlerless elk. That is fine with me though. This will be my first opportunity to go after them, and the plan was always to take the first legal animal that I can ethically kill. I will get over there to scout around as soon as I can. I'm still liking both the Big and Little Snowies for September, but I just won't have a lot of consecutive days to be there. I'm excited though.

Thanks for the responses. Plan A was the Snowies off of Red Hill Road, but the early opening in 412 will probably draw me in.

Expect there to be quite a few people doing the same thing. 412 for that early season isn't valid on National Forest so you'll be very limited to where you can hunt...not say it's impossible just troublesome due to access.

Expect there to be quite a few people doing the same thing. 412 for that early season isn't valid on National Forest so you'll be very limited to where you can hunt...not say it's impossible just troublesome due to access.

Not true .... The general tag is good for anywhere in 412 early season . It's the 004-00 tag that's no good on forest land

I wish Montana would get better about just printing the regulations and sticking with them. I have a copy of the 2016 regs that say 412 general tag opens September 3 that I downloaded a couple of months ago. I just downloaded it off the website and now it says August 15.

Yes, the BLM ground is steep. Not all, but a lot of it is steep. Plenty of elk, and they are very transient, so when you see them on public, go after them. They may not be there tomorrow.
I have a friend letting me mule deer hunt his ranch in unit 412 near Roy MT. I would also like to try and draw for elk but his ranch doesn’t have elk. Is there accessible public in that area if I was fortunate to draw. This would be my first western hunt.

Heading to unit 412 chasing mule deer as planned for 2022 rifle. Is there a unit nearby that I should apply for Elk. Or are my chances in 412 just as good. I know they are all tuff draws. Plan on being in the area for two weeks. My mule deer hunt is on private with no elk present. Again this is my first western hunt and plan on using my time there mainly to learn for future hunts.

Sis year old post. Doubtful anyone will respond. Your best bet is to talk with your friend who owns the ranch. They probably have some insight into where the elk are going to be during the same time you will be there for mule deer.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back