Montana Elk Permits

Okay, my question is simple but I just want to get a good answer. I have been applying for the same unit as 10,000 others have for the past four years and was just wondering why on the Montana elk permit sheet there are three options for you to place a unit. Is there really an area you can draw by placing it as number three?

okay so here is my thoughts...choice one is a slim to slim chance, if you dont get selected do you still get to be placed in your second choice selections? meaning do you get lumped in with all those peeps that put your second choice as their first? Or do you only get a chance to draw your second selection if there are leftovers after all the others that had that unit as their first selection? And lastly, there are areas that are 100% draws, if I place that as my last choice am I going to get that permit if I dont get the first two?

Is there really any chance to draw your second selection if your second selection is less than 100% draw odds?

I love hunting elk and everything that is elk but this permit thing I really never got so please inform me...thanks and I hope this wasnt too confusing.

All the first choice applicants get drawn first. The second choice folks get a shot if there are any tags leftover. Then third choice applicants get a chance. Yes, there are units where you can draw your third choice.

Not sure but 1 theory could be,
Your name is drawn. Then they check to see if your 1st choice is filled. If not, you get that permit. If filled they check your second choice. If not, you get that permit. If it is filled thay move on to #3.
Most assume that they declare a unit first and then begin drawing names-I don't believe that is the case.

Is there really any chance to draw your second selection if your second selection is less than 100% draw odds?

No. The only way you can draw your second choice is if there is more permits than first choice applicants. The only way you can draw your third choice is if there are more permits than first and second choice applicants.

Your name is drawn. Then they check to see if your 1st choice is filled. If not, you get that permit. If filled they check your second choice. If not, you get that permit. If it is filled thay move on to #3.
Most assume that they declare a unit first and then begin drawing names-I don't believe that is the case.

It is the case in MT. It's written out in the regulations pretty clearly.

I've never heard of anyone drawing something on their third choice....so it must be very rare.

Unlimited permit units. I doubt anyone draws capped units on their 3rd choice, but I guess its possible.

Dumb question here but this will be my first time applying to MT. I don't need to list a general unit as my third choice do I? I was planning on listing three draw units on my app with the plan of falling back to a general unit to hunt since I have no points and am not expecting to draw. [/dumb question]

Dumb question here but this will be my first time applying to MT. I don't need to list a general unit as my third choice do I? I was planning on listing three draw units on my app with the plan of falling back to a general unit to hunt since I have no points and am not expecting to draw. [/dumb question]

If you have a general tag, you are automatically able to hunt all general units. Just put the ones you want to try and draw on your LE app.

I'm hunting elk in general next year because I can buy a general license. I applied for 3 choices, 1st being a limited quota rifle, 2nd choice being a limited quota archery, 3rd being an unlimited permit. I'll draw a permit, probably not my first, possibly my second, if not.. definitely my third.

Nope. It is the case. You can read up on how the drawing is conducted...It even brings into question strategy of what unit numbers you apply for in what order. Think about this. They start drawing with the lowest district...100 then they do 101, then 102, then 103...until they hit the last district. Each district they draw among first choice apps. If leftovers they go to second choice. If leftovers, third choice. Then on to he next district in line and repeat. It is very much feasible to get drawn on second or third choice without your first even being considered. If your second choice district is a lower number than your first and there are leftovers you could get swooped up on second choice before your first choice district is even drawn. Like I said it's all in print.

Last edited:
If your second choice district is a lower number than your first and there are leftovers you could get swooped up on second choice before your first choice district is even drawn. Like I said it's all in print.

Nope, all first choices per specie are drawn first. There is no way you can get drawn 2nd choice before being considered for a first choice.

Nope, all first choices per specie are drawn first. There is no way you can get drawn 2nd choice before being considered for a first choice.

tjones you're right. That info used to be in the print regs a few years ago and I couldn't find it in the current regs. It does start with the lowest district and a drawing is conducted for first choice. Then they move to the next lowest district, first choice. When all first choices are drawn for each district they do it all over with 2nd choices. There is no way to get drawn 2nd before being considered for first, my misunderstanding.

Back