Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Montana draw questions

dcopas78

Well since dad and I failed to pull a Wyoming general tag, I have moved on to Montana as my backup. Fortunately, I have been researching (albeit only a little) some of the general zones in Montana as a backup.

With that being said, I believe that dad and I will go ahead and enter the draw for Montana rather than wait on a surplus big game combo tag. New Mexico and some of the other states just aren't doable this year for us so I won't be applying there.

I have a few questions about the whole draw process in Montana. I noticed that there is a preference option and a bonus option. My questions:
1. The bonus points accumulate if we would apply for a elk permit every year correct?
2. What is the point of the "preference" fee? Is it like an instant preference point?
3. Is it even worth trying for a limited tag or just stick with the General, since we have zero points in Montana.

Thanks in advance all,
Derek

You should be able to get a General Deer/Elk Combo on your first go. There are generally leftovers which basically creates little need for those preference points.

If you put in for a limited entry tag and choose to add the $2 bonus point fee then you will accumulate a bonus point for limited entry permits if you do not get your first choice. Your odds aren't great as a non-resident for drawing a Limited Entry permit on your first go but it could happen. It doesn't hurt to try though.

Don't waste your money on a pref point in MT. the draw has had thousands of left over tags since the new 161 came into place in that state with the high tag prices and all. I don't see that changing this year either. As far as the special permits go put in someone has to draw them may as well be you so why not for the extra few bucks it cost. Odds are low if you want a rifle permit better for bow. Last several years you could buy elk/deer tags up until the season was over it is a good last minute backup plan if you are in other draws waiting. Cow permits are pretty easy to draw in a special permit area makes for a great hunt.

Like brownbear said, don't buy the "preference" point for the general tag. Draw odds have been 100% on getting the general tag. You could apply for the LE units though and accumulate "bonus" points for those LE tags.. One other thing, do NOT apply in MT though if you just want to build up bonus points for the LE tags. It ends up costing something like $200 to get a bonus point. Plus there's plenty of good hunting in the general units.

These guys have given you great advice

If you're already planning on hunting your general elk tag, may as well throw your name in the hat for a special elk permit somewhere.

I burned max points a few years back on a rifle bull permit, and snagged a second rifle bull permit last year with only 2 points.

You wont draw if you don't apply.

If you're getting the combo, make sure to apply for a deer permit also. Chances of drawing one are slim, but you can put in as a party and you'd be in for a fun hunt if you did draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back